leach lake tips

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Krush379, Jul 14, 2007.

1. Krush379

Krush379 repeat customer

Going to fish leach lake on sunday. Anyone been ther lately? What's working?
    Thanks, Eric

2. Curtis

Curtis New Member

I had some fun with damsel dries. Only blue though, not green.

3. cabezon

cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

Hi Eric,

I just got back last night from three days at Leech. As is typical of this time of year, there is a very healthy damsel hatch at midday. Try trolling or stripping a damsel nymph in the morning. In the afternoon, as the new damsels start laying eggs on the water, the brookies and this year's trips were jumping out of the water to knock them down. Also, some of the bigger brookies and some trips were stalking the reeds. I managed to hook brookies and trips on damsel dries cast near prior surface activity.

There is also a strong Callibaetis mayfly hatch (size 14) at midday, tailing off by 2ish. On Wednesday, I managed to catch holdover trips (18-20") on Callibaetis nymphs, emergers, duns, and spinners over the course of the day. Yesterday (Friday) was quite breezy, but whenever the wind died down a bit, you could sight fish to cruising trips and they would take duns at the surface.

While I did not see a significant midge hatch during the day or evening, some fishers were doing quite well fishing chironomids below a float. The fish, especially smaller brookies, may be a bit more keyed into midges at dusk.

There are lots of dark caddis along the shore, per usual, but it never seemed that many fish were keyed into them. You might try stripping a CDC caddis below the surface at dusk to mimic the egg-laying females.

Your tactics will depend on the wind, per usual; a thunderstorm, complete with lightning, rain, and wind, arrived Friday morning and blew everyone off the water for 45 minutes or so until it blew through. There were maybe a dozen craft on the water on Friday.

Good luck,

Steve

4. Krush379

Krush379 repeat customer

Thank's for the tips. Let you know how we do.
    Eric