Least expensive saltwater real????

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Alexander, Jan 9, 2014.

1. Grayone

Grayone Fishin' to the end, Oc.P

"Like...? "

My guess is Islander...Canadian...cork drags! Dang double post.

2. alpinetrout

alpinetrout Banned or Parked

Good guess...

3. Jim Darden

Jim Darden Active Member

They won't be inexpensive, but I would look for a cork drag reel if I was only going to buy one for all types of salt water usage. I have a lot of different types of reels including the sealed drags but the most reliable have been the cork drags....they are bullet proof...

4. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

What are some of the least expensive cork drag reels - just curious. I know they generally aren't cheap but who makes a "best bang for the buck" cork drag reel for light tackle. I'm not talking anything more than 7wt. Actually are there any 5wt cork drags out there?

5. Bagman

Bagman Active Member

Why would anyone even want a drag on a 5wt?

6. Grayone

Grayone Fishin' to the end, Oc.P

"Why would anyone even want a drag on a 5wt? "....So they can use it in salt with a 7wt.

7. Jim Darden

Jim Darden Active Member

Alexander....maybe I misspoke.....I'm thinking the guy might use the reel for warm saltwater species. For the cold water species, a click drag would probably do in all cases and the quality of the drag is probably not that important. I some times use the 7wt for bones, small permit and reef fish.

8. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

I'll be the first to say that drag for Trout in general tends to be a little overrated. But there are all kinds of reasons why people might want drag and since this thread contains good info, why not add more? ;).

Now, I would think that anyone would want drag on a 5wt if they were fishing water that would likely get them into something bigger than what one would normally target with a 5wt. If I hook into a large King or any other large Salmon while fishing for SRC a nice drag might come in handy.

9. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

10. mbowers

mbowers Active Member

Update on the Crosswater. Fished tarpon 20 to 50 lbs last week. We went 1 fer 5 one evening. At least 3 on the reel. Reel drag did fine but the tolerance between spool and cage is big so 8 wt line could get wrapped around cage. I would keep less backing on reel so spool is not so full and reduce wrapping around cage potential. Also make sure to wind line in with plenty of tension. Not a problem with tarpon on other end :)

Alexander and Irafly like this.
  11. stilly stalker

stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

Ive used my scientific anglers system 2 reel ( from the mid 90s) for saltwater use many times and its built tough!! No complaints.
    However....now that I live in So Cal- land of halibut, mahi mahi and tuna on the fly rod I have gone all Nautilus CCF- got them off Ebay for killer deals and couldnt be happier about it.

Id also maybe think about getting an Allen Kraken. Not too much $$ and supposedly very good reels

If you think about it, you save money buying better stuff, and only buying it once

12. Bagman

Bagman Active Member

I picked up a reel on eBay made out of the USA. I had the same problem you are talking about. I took mine apart and decided a thin Thurst Washer would solve the problem. I took it to a small machine shop and had one made out of brass. Installed and problem solved. It cost me $30.00 but if you have a friend that has a lathe it is an easy thing to make.

13. DH Davis

DH Davis New Member

Might as well put in my two bits. I use the Reddington Rise and a discontinued Orvis Battenkill Mid-Arbor and so far they've done well with just a rinse. I was using cheaper Echo Ions and rinsing them religiously and thoroughly after each use but found I had to disassemble and oil after every trip to keep the guts from rusting out. You can buy two Ions for one Rise but the maintenance changed my mind.

14. chrome/22

chrome/22 For him there whould always be the riddle of steel

I'm running a older Redington 5/6 CDL on my RX6 9' 5 weight. Working good, rinse & repeat. Good drag.

c/22

15. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

What Porter said.