leech flys

Leeches work well in stillwaters year round. They are always a good choice during a lull between hatches. My favorite is "Glen's Leech." I've done well with brown and black, but olive is my favorite color for this fly. It seems to imitate a damsel nymph as well as a leech. I tie them in size 12, very small, and I've had tremendous results with and without indicators.

A mohair leech was the winning ticket for me this year at Coffeepot Lake.

A squirrel strip leech tied zonker style with a simple thread body and rib is a fantastic pattern.

Wooley buggers make good leech patterns, but i grew bored with them years ago. Since then I've enjoyed tying variations such as the Seal Bugger, another fantastic leech pattern by Denny Rickards.

There is no end to the types of leeches you can tie. Don't be afraid to tie them very small for stillwaters.

James W.

Leeches work well in stillwaters year round. They are always a good choice during a lull between hatches. My favorite is "Glen's Leech." I've done well with brown and black, but olive is my favorite color for this fly. It seems to imitate a damsel nymph as well as a leech. I tie them in size 12, very small, and I've had tremendous results with and without indicators.

A squirrel strip leech tied zonker style with a simple thread body and rib is a fantastic pattern.

Wooley buggers make good leech patterns, but i grew bored with them years ago. Since then I've enjoyed tying variations such as the Seal Bugger, another fantastic leech pattern by Denny Rickards.

There is no end to the types of leeches you can tie. Don't be afraid to tie them very small for stillwaters.

James W.
James,

You just listed off my stillwater leech box inventory. That was a little spooky :eek:

Ever tied the Glenn's leech in red?

James W.
wow thanks for the advise,

now do you know where i can get uni mohair leech yarn? because went to cabelas in lacey and they said they didnt have any leech yarn

Thanks

Preston

Not at all, the fully stretched-out leech in the picture is close to four inches long, the flies are about 3 to 3 1/2 inches. One year I had a twenty-plus fish day at Chopaka, all on such leech patterns.

James,

You just listed off my stillwater leech box inventory. That was a little spooky :eek:

Ever tied the Glenn's leech in red?
I've never tied Glenn's leech in red, but I think I've tied it in maroon. I've definitely tied it in purple as well.

Glenn's leech has saved my bacon on technical (moody) B.C. lakes, lakes with huge fish.

Now I want to tie it in red!

I've never tied Glenn's leech in red, but I think I've tied it in maroon. I've definitely tied it in purple as well.

Glenn's leech has saved my bacon on technical (moody) B.C. lakes, lakes with huge fish.

Now I want to tie it in red!
I`m not familiar with the Glenn`s leech , but by far , my favorite leech for fishing the local lakes is a dubbed red mohair leech , with a black micro conehead . No flash .

Flyborg

IMO, bunny provides a fuller more visible profile in low light conditions. I use a lot of woolley buggers for steelhead at this time of year, but when the light gets sparse I throw on small egg sucking bunny leeches.