Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Leech Lake

6K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  SpeySpaz 
#1 ·
Looking at the WDOT camera on White Pass, I see almost no snow. Has any one been up to Leech Lake, and if so, how was it? Was the road passable and the lake thawed out? I am going fishing this weekend and Leech Lake would be my first choice if I can get into it. Any help with the conditions there would be greatly appreciated. Also any thoughts on currently successful flies would be equally appreciated. Jim Harper

#2 ·
IF it is warm enough, damsels!!! Other than that, carey specials in smaller sizes. Sorry, can't help with the conditions.

Just checked stocking reports, nothing yet this year, but that doesn't mean there won't be some HUNGRY trout in there!!

#3 ·
I've read several places where it hasn't received its normal plants so far this year due to all the snow. I believe it will be stocked with Trips at the end of June.
Damsels should be happening as Curtis mentioned. Normally they would be going strong. This year, it seems they are a few weeks to a month behind. On lakes I've fished recently on both sides of the state, the damsel hatch hasn't been very strong.
Hopefully some warm weather will change that.

#5 ·
I just got off the phone with Naches Ranger Station and was told that the road into the lake is still covered with snow. They were unable to give me an estimate of just when they might open that road. I guess it looks like a trip to either Dry Falls or Lonore this weekend for me. Based on some of the reports on those two lakes, it looks like a lot of fishing and very little catching is in store. Thanks to those who replied. Jim Harper

#9 ·
Jim,

As of yesterday, Jun 17, according to an eyewitness report, the lake is ice free, and the launch is snow free. However, there is snow on the road from the gate to the launch, and the gate was still locked.

If you're using a float tube or something you can carry or drag on the snow, then you should be able to fish.

It sounds like the USFS doesn't want to unlock the gate until the road is pretty much clear of snow.

Sg

#12 ·
I just got off the phone with Naches Ranger District. The report is that the road is still closed and the gate is locked. Gary Fairbanks (Gary's Fly Shoppe) told me this afternoon that he heard from a couple of his customers that the road was covered in about two feet of snow but the lake and launch are both snow free. They were up there Wednesday.

Jim Harper

#13 ·
Fished Leech today. The gate is still locked, but there is no snow on the road and it was easy to wheel our pontoon boats in to the launch. I think the reason that the gate is still locked is because the camp sites are still soggy and need some sunshine to dry them out. The fishing was excellent. Lots of brookies and a few thin carry over triploids on chronomids and wooly buggers.

#14 ·
Just an idea........if you live reasonably close to Leech and it's still snowed in....why don't you give Dog Lake a try? Less than 2 miles away, gets tons of plants and some very nice holdovers. We would rent one of the condos at the ski area, fish Dog early and have some lunch/nap at the condo and then fish Leech late into the evening. FYI... the condos are pretty cheap and have stocked kitchenettes, not exactly the "Great Outdoors", but you don't have to worry about the mosquitos flying off with your small dog/children in tow!

#15 ·
Good stuff in here. I did pretty well there Sat, same as majek. forest road 52 from Ashford to Packwood has a couple of humongous landslides, (200 ft+ long and 30 ft deep from what I was told) and it will probably stay closed till July, adding quite a bit to my drive.
gate's still closed, but I saw very little snow in there and the road was clear as far as I could tell. Sometimes there's a big drift on the campsite loop though, I may not have seen it.
tiny midges, #14 black ants falling, occasional caddis, but still too cold for damsels.
I finger checked (forgot my thermometer) and guess the WT at about 50 degrees.

#17 ·
Hi Guys just got back, gate was open Friday when I got there at 2. Fantastic surface action for Brookies and Trips, which were stocked last Tuesday. Many, many fish caught this weekend. Not too many people on the lake today, little chop. Just about anything was working. Biggest brookie wa around 14", trip about 19".

Also fished Dog and got a couple nice triploids, some stocker bows (stocked today) and some small brookies. Great few days.

G

#19 ·
We camped and fished Leech Lake from Thursday ~ Sunday... and finally bailed due to the weather and lack of "the bite". Cold, fog, mist, rain... with enough flyfishermen, and a couple of flyfisherwomen, on the lake to create waterway traffic issues from people fishing fly de'jour. A few people caught a few fish. Water is pouring into the lake from numerous sources with the lake level 2ft foot higher than normal. Mosquito Valley still has a HUGE snowpack with Leech Lake at the bottom of the valley. bawling:

Maybe in a couple more weeks.

#21 ·
i camped up there from the 7th to the 9th, did well but the early PMs were slow. still no Damsels, but decent Baetis activity. Triploids have been cruising the shallow end in late PMs, good fun on a 3 wt.
i did well with a dry and when things got slower, a #14 hare's ear under an indicator.
Fish were really clustered up- the weedbeds are of course kind of late in developing this year
water T was in the high 50's, low 60's in PM on the surface.
plenty of mosquitos too this year.

to coolfisher's question, the lake has self-sustaining brookie population, biggest I've caught was 14", average much smaller; and there's triploid rainbows stocked each year that average I don't know, maybe 16-20".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.