Leech Lake

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Jim Harper, Jun 16, 2008.

1. yakimacoug

yakimacoug New Member

The gate is open!
    I fished yesterday with my dad and brother from 10:30 to 4:00 and had a great day. It was 80 degrees with a slight "chronimid chop" on the surface :thumb:

Get up there to escape the heat and enjoy bringing some fish to hand.

YC:beer1:

2. flyerman

flyerman New Member

Hi Guys just got back, gate was open Friday when I got there at 2. Fantastic surface action for Brookies and Trips, which were stocked last Tuesday. Many, many fish caught this weekend. Not too many people on the lake today, little chop. Just about anything was working. Biggest brookie wa around 14", trip about 19".

Also fished Dog and got a couple nice triploids, some stocker bows (stocked today) and some small brookies. Great few days.

G

3. Dave Ellis

Dave Ellis Member

I spoke to a fellow at Alder Lake this morning that said he had fished Leech Lake on Friday and Saturday - said he caught a lot of stockers and that everyone else fishing there did as well.:D

4. 6wt

6wt 6wt

We camped and fished Leech Lake from Thursday ~ Sunday... and finally bailed due to the weather and lack of "the bite". Cold, fog, mist, rain... with enough flyfishermen, and a couple of flyfisherwomen, on the lake to create waterway traffic issues from people fishing fly de'jour. A few people caught a few fish. Water is pouring into the lake from numerous sources with the lake level 2ft foot higher than normal. Mosquito Valley still has a HUGE snowpack with Leech Lake at the bottom of the valley. bawling:

Maybe in a couple more weeks.

5. coolfisher

coolfisher New Member

what types of fish do you catch in your lake?
    i'm from Rus, maybe i'll be in washington through some weeks...

6. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

i camped up there from the 7th to the 9th, did well but the early PMs were slow. still no Damsels, but decent Baetis activity. Triploids have been cruising the shallow end in late PMs, good fun on a 3 wt.
    i did well with a dry and when things got slower, a #14 hare's ear under an indicator.
    Fish were really clustered up- the weedbeds are of course kind of late in developing this year
    water T was in the high 50's, low 60's in PM on the surface.
    plenty of mosquitos too this year.

to coolfisher's question, the lake has self-sustaining brookie population, biggest I've caught was 14", average much smaller; and there's triploid rainbows stocked each year that average I don't know, maybe 16-20".