Leech

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Trout Master, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Trout Master

Trout Master Active Member

Leech campground is open for bizz.

2. Jerry Arlington

Jerry Arlington Member

Home Page:
    Good post, no bs, just the facts!

3. Nick Metzman

Nick Metzman Member

good to know, hopefully I can get out there sometime.

4. ribka

ribka Active Member

Great! The secret's out!
    Now everyone will be fishing on "my lake" this weekend.
    If anyone comes near me I'll willing be cast over their lines.

5. Trout Master

ribka, if leech is such a secret well tuff sh_t. Casting over my line will get you far.

6. Upton O

Upton O Blind hog fisherman

Home Page:
    Ribka,
    I fished Leech Lake with my father in a snow storm in mid-June 1966. I was 18 years old and had just given him his Father's Day present (a new Orvis Battenkill bamboo flyrod) which cost me a month's pay. He had given me his Orvis rod two years before when he didn't think he would ever fish again.

We fished for about three hours that morning until he couldn't take the cold any longer. We were using size 12 dark green Carey Specials and caught upwards of 40 or more brookies, mostly 8-10 inch plants.

My father was a very severely disabled jungle combat veteran of WWII. He had a blast that day. It was the last time we fished for trout together.

Leech is a very important place for me. I'm glad to hear it is for you, too.

7. Wayne Kohan

Wayne Kohan fish-ician

Fished Leech yesterday. Got there about 11 am and there were just a few hardy souls on the lake. Many came in the afternoon though. It was somewhat cool, the wind was no fun. Fishing picked up in the afternoon. Bumped into the grumpy old fart with the Walker Bay boat and the thousands of hand tied flies. Nice meeting you Jerry. Saw the usual osprey and an eagle. Caught a few brookies, I did not manage any of the bigger ones. No 'sqitos in the parking lot.

Wayne

8. ribka

ribka Active Member

Of course my posting was not serious. I appreciate the fact that he took the time to let people know that Leech is open now. I fish it quite often and it is a popular lake that receives a lot of fishing pressure. I was fishing it last year and anchored by the shoreline. Some guy, who notices that I am catching fish, pulls up to me in his new Hyde drift boat and anchors within ten ft of me and proceeds to cast over my line. I moved to a new spot

As you all have noticed the past few months on this site, (which I think is a site to share tips, info) when someone is nice enough to post a report or pose with a fish in a photo a large number of members here on WFF attack the person for giving away his "secret place" or not handling a fish properly etc etc. See the recent Rock Creek report.

Anyway as I have mentioned numerous times would rather see law abiding fly fishermen receive info on this site regarding fishing areas. In the e side of the state of Wa and in OR, ID, MT I have witnessed many instances of poaching,leaving trash etc. If we have more fly fisherman in these areas think that we can reduce poaching and mishandling of resources. Maybe naive but think most fly fisherman are good stewards of the environment.

On a side note, even though I am new to Wa and the NW I have shared the knowledge of many of my fishing and hunting areas. Some guys here were appreciative for sharing my limited knowledge others showed up to areas I showed them and not a word of thanks.
    Still try to be helpful though

9. Trout Master

Anyway as I have mentioned numerous times would rather see law abiding fly fishermen receive info on this site regarding fishing areas. In the e side of the state of Wa and in OR, ID, MT I have witnessed many instances of poaching,leaving trash etc. If we have more fly fisherman in these areas think that we can reduce poaching and mishandling of resources. Maybe naive but think most fly fisherman are good stewards of the environment.

ribka, iagreeiagreeiagree

10. yakimacoug

yakimacoug New Member

We were the hardy souls you saw when you arrived. Got on the water at 9:30 and it was 39 degrees with wind and rain. It was still a great father's day with my dad and brother, even though the fish were being difficult. Maybe it was our cold hands and slow reaction times :) Lot's of laughs and a few brookies to hand always make for good memories with dad.

:beer2:

11. ryan2202

ryan2202 Member

I'll hopefully be getting up to Leech around 3 or 4PM after work Saturday! Its my favorite fly fishing lake to go too! I've been fishing lakes from White Pass down hwy 12 al my life! Leech is by far my favorite Lake/campground, lets all continue to take suck great care of it so it lasts as long and if not longer as any of us will!

12. Richard Torres

Richard Torres Active Member

Great story about you and your dad Karl. I have great memories fishing with my grandfather and I think of him every time I go out in the pram he gave to me...

Richard

13. Upton O

Upton O Blind hog fisherman

Home Page:
    Richard,
    I sent you a pm last night but was very tired when I sent it. I'm sending another now. Let me know if you receive it.

Karl

14. Keith Hixson

Keith Hixson Active Member

We need to get together and do some fishing.

Keith

15. Trout Master

I will be there saturday with Scott Salzar.:thumb: