Leland gave me a fish!! now I'm inspired!!!

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Tony, Jul 23, 2014.

1. DimeBrite

DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

Thanks for pointing that out Tacoma Red (I walked right by it early this month without looking).
    Is there any chance these are the pre-European remains of a paleo-fisherman who couldn't keep the red hot salmon fishing a secret within the tribe? Did they discover any buckskin poppers (i.e., paleo-poppers)?

Irafly, Go Fish and Stonefish like this.
  2. SciGuy

SciGuy Active Member

I fish 5-7 days per week during the summer on beaches ranging from Pt. Townsend through Bainbridge. I have repeatedly observed that absolutely nothing will saturate a beach with fly flinging yuppies quite like a post on the web. Always how. Never where.

In case you haven't figured it out by now, this is how it works: If you post a report giving specifics about a beach and...
    1. ...you are not a local (oh, say, maybe from Lynnwood or Green Lake?) then the locals will be pissed
    2. ...it is your local beach then the locals will be pissed (and you are stupid)

3. Tacoma Red

Tacoma Red Active Member

1) I'm being sarcastic about the Occupy remark. No offense intended.
    2) Everyone knows that any point of land or public park is a decent place to catch fish. But I can have a "NIMBY" attitude sometimes.
    3) I like the semi-permeable base-structure of the PNP parking lot.
    4) I wish for more public beach access....

Paleo-Popper-Man was a loner (so far as the bone-diggers know) since no other remains have been found to date as well as any type of artifacts/midden (PNP was hugely abundant with clams and oysters a very long time ago so I'm sure they'll find more stuff). When I was talking to the guy in charge of the dig he quickly got called away before I could ask if he thought it was a ceremonial burial site or an isolated forgotten death. I also don't know the completeness of the bone find. Perhaps a "slightly-dented" skull to warn of divulging fishing locations??? I'm leaving now to go "salt" the dig site with an Outdoor Emporium popper.

So if by some weird fortuitous chance you should find yourself all alone at PNP it the early morning hours...you're not "really" alone.

DimeBrite likes this.
  4. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

First, it's a county park and not a state park so Discovery Passes don't have anything to do with it. Second, how is your internet dream changed in the slightest if you don't know the exact beach something takes place at? I don't think occasionally posting about a specific beach ruins it forever, but I would bet money that there will be more people at PNP this weekend because of this post. There will be some people sitting around deciding where to go fishing (or if they should go fishing) and think "Hey, they're catching fish at PNP, I'll go there." Guess what, there are people catching fish at about every beach right now (although not many anywhere), but this character (and likely a handful more) is going to PNP because there was a report. They will likely pass other good beaches on their way, but since there wasn't a report at those they will be going to PNP. I've literally seen this happen before and a super overcrowded beach is not fun for anyone there.

Reports on specific places you caught a fish don't REALLY help anyone anyways. These fish are almost always on the move and a beach that's hot one morning, might be dead then next morning or the next week. How is posting a specific name helping anyone? All it does is potentially add more bodies to an already crowded space for no real reason.

It's easy to say it doesn't matter if it's not a beach you normally fish.

SciGuy likes this.
  5. SciGuy

SciGuy Active Member

No, but they did find tens of thousands of elongated diamond-shaped objects that had been dyed an unusually bright shade of pink by using flower petals from rhododendron macrophyllum. They are thought to be have been used in an ancient ritual to fight off an evil spirit named Castsyelloweagleclawfromlawnchair, which translates loosely into "pink plague."

6. MileHighFlyGuy

MileHighFlyGuy Active Member

Great - you solved your own problem. Go somewhere else.

Dan Nelson likes this.
  7. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

I'm waiting for a report from a beach outside of my normal network so that I know where to go....:rolleyes:

Oh and since so many people love to post specific beach names (even in posts they didn't start), my reports will be distrubuted via text messages and PMs to the network of people on here who actually fish these beaches on a normal basis.

8. Bagman

Bagman Active Member

I drove by there a few times and was wondering what was going on there. Not that I fish there I just like the sandy beach at low tide to walk my dog. I'm thinking he might have been a buzz bomber that threw too close to a guy in a boat and got a arrow in the head. Or maybe the buzz bomber was a good shot and hooked a guy in a boat. Landed him put a priest to his head and buried him there.

9. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Says the guy with two posts. Folks like you are exactly the reason i dont post locations.

I fish a lot. There are no secrets anymore. However i have put out a lot of time and effort into learning what i know and i personally dont want to share the beach with every fly fisherman in the state. I have had plenty of folks pm me and i am very generous with info....but just dont see the point of posting it up for the world to see.

plaegreid likes this.
  10. Nick Clayton

And this is the reason why i dont agree with posting locations. Of course yoi lnow of that beach. But you didnt kmow if it was worth fishing. Most folks want to wait around to read a good report before they hit it. Those of us who arent lazy are fishing it the whole time, and dont want any more company.

11. dibling

dibling Active Member

Totally understand the former part of that sentiment. It's just a matter of resources for me personally. I will probably be able to get out two days in August on a beach that isn't within 30 minutes of Seattle. That's just me, so I appreciate if people are willing to share reports and sometimes locations. I've enjoyed a number of yours in the past as well. Just don't think we need to bring out the pitchforks if people are generous with info.

Dan Nelson likes this.
  12. JayB

JayB Active Member

I have specifically avoided the beach-that-shall-not-be-named because I assumed that it was so well known that it would always be an overcrowded mega-cluster when the fish are in, so who knows, maybe the extra dose of notoriety brought on by this thread may actually have a deterrent effect.

If that fails, just post some fake reports with a tone that alternates between anger and despair over the out-of control infestation treble-hook wielding snaggers, roving bands of tweakers so desperate for their next hit they're forming packs and specifically preying upon the young, the old, and/or folks with a wobbly gait who happen to be wielding Sage or G.Loomis rods...since the sheer number of crystals you can load in the busted shafts *and* the extra kick from the combusting high-end nano-resin when you hit it with a butane torch (not to mention the top-notch ergonomics provided by the high-end cork grips) gets them cranked-out like nothing else...and crappy fishing...and see what effect that has on your overcrowding problem.

13. MileHighFlyGuy

MileHighFlyGuy Active Member

Nick,

Two posts in nine months would suggest I'm not a big sharer of information. Just your kind of guy.

Recall that it wasn't me that revealed the secret location of the very lukewarm fishing report from perhaps the most frequently written about beach in Puget Sound. Indeed, it seemed like a report on where not to go.

I fish a lot too - two or three times a week, most frequently on perhaps the second most frequently written about beach in Puget Sound. It's rare that any one else at all is fishing there. I drive by other beaches in Hood Canal all the time, and likewise rarely see anyone. I'm afraid I don't see the point of regarding the most casual fishing information as Homeland Security secrets

Dan Nelson likes this.
  14. underachiever

underachiever !

[​IMG]

KevinLS likes this.
  15. Nick Clayton

Youre free to your opinion obviously, but i live about five minutes from the beach in question and believe me when a report pops up here there is a noticeable increase in pressure from fly fishers.

Everyone has to learn the lesson, and some people just dont believe it is a problem. I would would expect that someone with years of experience throwing poppers on the beach would act differently. Of course i noticed he didnt post pics of any beaches near his home.

It seems that people who only hit the beach a few times a season are the ones who advocate strongly for revealing beaches publically, which i suppose i can understand, but if youre really looking for a place to fish i think a PM goes a long way

Blake Harmon and Stonefish like this.