Let me introduce myself :-)

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Kjell S. Rakkenes, Dec 7, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Kjell S. Rakkenes

Kjell S. Rakkenes Member

Hi

I recently posted a couple of videos that I made this summer, and was kindly asked to make an introductory post. What a great idea I thought, so here it is. My introductory post to this fine forum!

My name is Kjell, a guy with a funny name that few outside Scandinavia is able to pronounce. The advantage I guess, is that people remember me. I am from Norway, live just outside Oslo and have a fly fishing cabin in the mountains.

[​IMG]

I am a father of two beautiful youngsters - a girl who's to fast reaching 19 and the age where she's moving
    out to study. And then my son who is 15 and has become my best fishing companion. In fact I regret the fact that I dragged him into fly fishing, since he is fast learner and is anytime soon now going to both outcast and out fish me :)

I must not forget that I am not only married to fly fishing. The real love of my life is actually not a trout, but my beautiful Danish wife Sabine :)

We are dedicated to fly fishing and have a couple of projects that we're running to give fly fishing an added meaning or value. The first project is our website (www.rakkenes.com) where we are trying to document our rivers and lakes (insect life, fishing and nature). They are not to well documented, so I guess its a good idea to do so before pollution and climate change destroys our waters. On our website there are numerous pictures and articles related to fly fishing, insect life and of course fly tying.

The second project that we do is called Ten Rivers Trip. At some point I got tired of trophy hunting. We decided to try to search for the original factors that drove us into this addictive hobby. We wrote down some rules that we have to follow every season. The idea is that restrictions drives creativity and force us back to being curious about new waters. One of the rules are, for instance: "We are not allowed to fish more than five favorite spots each year - we must search for five new that we have never fished". In turn this motivated us to set new restrictions on our fishing, to preserve nature - described here: http://www.rakkenes.com/sustainable-fly-fishing/

Enough of that. I am delighted to be accepted as a member at Washington Fly Fishing, and hope I am able to contribute to the forum. We are now entering the bitter winter in Norway, meaning that I'll have to wait five months before I can hang my "gone fishing" sign on my door.

Please add me as a friend on facebook (Kjell S. Rakkenes), follow me on Instagram (rakkenes_com) or pop me an email ([email protected]).

All the best!
    Kjell

2. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Welcome to WFF. Here in America, we head for southern states to escape winter; most destinations still offering fishing. The major interstates running north to south are a continuous procession of RV's. :)

Kjell S. Rakkenes likes this.
  3. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Welcome once again. As for your name, I'll guess it sounds much like "Shell?" I particularly like the Clear Water Emerger, by the way:D.

Enjoy your stay here.

4. DanielOcean

DanielOcean Active Member

5. napawino

napawino Banned or Parked

Snohomish County, sometimes Missoula County
    Velkommen

6. jamma

jamma Active Member

Welcome,Kjell.I have an affinity for music from Norway,particularly Gazpacho,Motorpsycho and the like.Love the way your country supports it's artists.

7. Buzzy

Buzzy Active Member

Welcome, Kjell! Going to spend some time looking at the links to your fly tying recipes (never seem to get enough instruction).

Pat

8. Jim Darden

Jim Darden Active Member

Welcome Kjell......put your location in your profile so we know where you are from in future posts.........

9. DimeBrite

DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

Welcome Kjell. I'm glad your middle initial is not Y ;). I'm looking forward to reading your reports and learning about your local fishery.

10. plaegreid

plaegreid Saved by the buoyancy of citrus

Welcome!

11. Adam Saarinen

Adam Saarinen Active Member

Tervetuloa/Welcome! We are almost neighbours, i live in Turku Finland! A member here found me on a Saltwater site in Australia & invited me over, i come here more than my own local flyfishing forum, it's also very mobile phone friendly like my own forum, but a insane amount of members & a lot of information to be shared!

SilverFly and Kjell S. Rakkenes like this.
  12. SilverFly

SilverFly Active Member

Welcome Kjell!

Had a hunch you'd like it here. :)

Adam Saarinen likes this.
  13. Bjorn

Bjorn Active Member

You are going to love it here! Welcome.:)

14. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

Velkommen Kjell
    I grew up here in "Little Norway" (Poulsbo) but the closely guarded secret was I'm Swedish (mostly). My youngest daughter dated a Kjell for a bit in High School, glad you're not him. I believe the j was silent. Anyway, very much interested in your posts.

15. Dipnet

Dipnet The wanted posters say Tim Hartman

Yes, welcome and please don't be shy about sharing stories of fishing in your local waters!