Lets See Some Stoneflies

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by ambassadeur10000, Jan 8, 2014.

1. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Not that it matters because if a pattern works, regardless of the representation of the genuine bug, then it works. Who cares if the proportions are off? Evidently, not the fish.

However, while I was raising my golden stonefly nymphs, I noticed that the genuine nymph is built much differently than we tie the patterns to represent the nymphs.

[​IMG]

For example, the head is large, blunt and fat. The antenna are not really very long. The thorax extends almost the same distance as the abdomen. The tail, again in relation to the body, is not very long.

I'm one of those who also do not follow the actual dimensions of the genuine bug... I don't really know where someone came up with the idea that the thorax is only the forward third of the total size of the bug.... I was taught to tie all my nymphs like that and the majority of bugs I'm trying to imitate do not have a 1/3 body length thorax. Usually, the thorax is half the length of the entire bug.

Oh well, like I said, it doesn't matter that our proportions are off... as long as the flies catch trout... close enough... besides, traditional dry flies don't look the least bit like a real dun or adult so evidently the fish are not paying that much attention. (chances are, antenna is not needed)

2. ambassadeur10000

ambassadeur10000 Member

Definitely true on our tying for the most part. My stones don't look anything like the real deal and they catch plenty of fish which is good for me since I'm not the best at tying flies

3. Norm Frechette

Norm Frechette Googlemeister

Home Page:
  4. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

You see, personally I like to fish patterns that look the same (in shape) but aren't the same in coloration. (not all the time but some times). That way your "junk" will stand out from the rest and get attention as opposed to just blending in with the rest. It may work if you're sight fishing, but I've seen fish move to get to an attractor pattern over the norm. Just throwing that out there...

5. Teenage Entomologist

Teenage Entomologist Gotta love the pteronarcys.

I've raised bunches of stones in my aquarium, and I try to tie my patterns just like the real deal, but that's just me.

6. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

Yeah, I think if it looks buggy enough and like something that is represented in that local stream at some point in time it will get eaten. This is why I like, actually love hopper patterns or ant patterns because they are always around. So fish being the opportunist for a fat meal that they are will always take advantage of a poor helpless terrestrial that happened to fall into the water, regardless of hatch.

If you're a survivor you'll eat what's edible and in front of you. Less work more food? Fish says : YEAP!

Teenage Entomologist likes this.
  7. Jaydub

Jaydub Active Member

Here are a few of my favorites:

Rogue Salmonfly
    [​IMG]

Rogue Golden with calftail wing
    [​IMG]

Norm Woods Special
    [​IMG]

Devil's Canyon Stone Nymph
    [​IMG]

Bird's Stonefly Nymph
    [​IMG]

8. Teenage Entomologist

Teenage Entomologist Gotta love the pteronarcys.

The Rogue Stone can get a bit tore up, but it does the job! And I'm glad to say Bird's Stone hasn't been lost in time( Kal Bird was from Northern California, and caught many, many trout on that stone, and it was a staple local pattern, and only the older local tiers still tie it here in NorCal). If you can Jay, could you show me a link or something on how to tie Kal's Stone, I want to keep a staple stonefly nymph still in circulation here in it's home state. Thanks, and nice photos too!

9. Jack Devlin

Jack Devlin Active Member

Found this one in Sportsman's Warehouse for 99 cents. Thought the double bead was a good idea.
    J IMG_1767.jpeg

10. Brad Niemeyer

Brad Niemeyer Old School Member

Home Page:
    Yeah I hear you on the small head stonefly pattern thing. I wanted a big blunt head on my stonefly nymphs, so that's why I bent the rubber band over the bead and cut it off blunt. It creates the right profile from below... Rubberbandit Stonefly.png

11. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

The head does look much better than our traditional tapered thread approach.

12. Jaydub

Jaydub Active Member

I haven't worked up a step-by step. Here are a couple of tutorials I found. neither one is exactly how I tie them, but pretty close.

http://stevenojai.tripod.com/instbirdstone.htm

The one in my picture was tied with Beaver for the abdomen. In the photo it looks washed out. It's really a bit darker. Also the rib should be more orange. I think the original called for Beaver, but it might be better in a darker brown, like they use in the tutorials.

I caught a lot of fish on that pattern when I first started fly fishing. Then it sort of got displaced by newer patterns. I tied a few up a couple of years ago and confirmed that they still work.

13. chewydog

chewydog Active Member

14. tinman207

tinman207 Active Member

Here is my pattern....I typically tie the body much fatter and more squared off at the tail.
    IMG_2565.JPG IMG_2564.JPG

15. tinman207

tinman207 Active Member

Chewydog - I love your CDC Golden Stone, I tie one like that as well, and it gets a lot of action.