Let's Talk Rain Gear

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by shadowcast, Jun 25, 2013.

1. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man (NFR)

When I started fishing we didn't have all these new fangled toys to play with. A sweat shirt and a Rain coat was what was used. It kept a body warm in the coldest weather. Sure you would sweat a lot but that was one of the joys of fishing. All you had to do was stop and cool down a little and then get back to fishing.

I bugged my wife to get me a Gore-tex rain jacket one year. It hangs in my closet. It's been there for three years now. Just waiting to be used. But in my old age I've turned into a warm weather fly person. I don't go out unless the sun is shining. The rain be damned.

2. Old406Kid

Old406Kid Active Member

Not sure what your price point is but you might look at the Redington Stratus models.
    Should be able to find them for less than $100. I've been happy with mine.

3. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Same here. Paid my dues fishing in the rain and never really had a great time but almost always managed to get wet no matter what I was wearing.

I'll still fish for steelhead in the rain and my old Columbia Sportswear wading jacket works fine. I can't even remember how long ago I bought the thing. It isn't breathable so I spray it each year with water repellant... for the few times a year I go steelhead fishing, it is all I need.

No expensive, breathable wading jacket for this guy.

4. Clay Carney

Clay Carney Member

Cabelas goretex paclite. They are light but you can layer.

5. shadowcast

shadowcast Member

Thanks guys. Yeah the Stratus looks good and within my budget. Also looking at LL Beans Emerger II and Orvis. The Frogg Toggs Pilot's a possibility too. Goretex hopefully when/if I can afford it. Just need something to get me by for now.

6. fly-by

fly-by Active Member

Another vote for gore-tex paclite. I bought super minimalist one for cycling, it's basically a shirt. It works great for "double bagging" under various gore-tex or e-vent shells. Never been wet under some hellacious conditions that eventually wetted out the outer shell.

Stopped by the thrift store last week and scored an almost new marmot waterproof breathable shell that has a carhart-ish twill outer layer with elbow patches for $20. Should be more durable than ski type shells. They also had a giant can of 13% silicone kiwi camp dry spray for $1. Not sure if treating the outside will gum up the membrane, but for $21 it's a cheap experiment.

7. wadin' boot

wadin' boot Donny, you're out of your element...

Home Page:
    I have a poncho with a print on it that is a dude magnet and while wearing it, fish are easy to catch. It's sort of the opposite of an invisibility cloak, excepting it is pretty much waterproof, you can have it, signed too, for $15

Steffan Brown likes this.
  8. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Well-Known Member

Shadowcast,

If price is a barrier, you have to shop shrewdly, same as the rest of the gear. I bought my first goretex rain coat through a Sierra Trading Post closeout for $65. It wasn't made by Simms, Redington, or Patagonia or any brand I'd ever heard of, but it's worked well. I got uppity cool brands now, but I still keep the old one in the car for emergency use or working in the yard.

Sg

9. Peyton00

Peyton00 Active Member

Whatever the choice is..... make sure its waterproof and not water resistant. I had a friend out on Sunday, it rained hard for a solid hour. He was ok for the first 5 minutes then soaked to the bone. I was dry and comfortable, dont skimp on half ass rain gear. rubber is cheap and it may not look cool, but you will be dry. I use goretex now, only because i spent the money and upgraded from grundens to a fashionable style. DONT buy something that isnt waterproof, you will waste the money on it and have to upgrade to rubber or gortex.

10. Mike Munro

Mike Munro Member

jwg likes this.
  11. Mike Munro

Mike Munro Member

12. chromefinder

chromefinder Member

Cabela's GORE-TEX® PacLite® Rainy River® Parka – Regular goes on sale from time to time for under $70

it's a good light weight packable Gore-Tex rain jacket for summer and carrying with you inside your fishing vest pocket or pack.

I believe some Jacket sizes/colors are on sale right now for approx $99 and the pants are nice as well.

13. shadowcast

shadowcast Member

Thanks everyone! ^That's a great article. I see what you mean about the "science" of it :confused: . Interestingly, I went into REI today and saw very little Goretex (3 jackets, maybe)--everything was some new fangled rice paper tech fabric that I'd never heard of with huge sticker prices. I'm sure they work for most applications, but I have to wonder about their durability in the face of thickets, falls, rocks, etc--although I realize they weren't designed for that. The more I read, the more I'm thinking, %^&* it, shell out for Goretex or make do with my HH ruberized nylon that's kept me dry and warm. I don't see the point anymore in a mid range "waterproof breathable" when Gore can be had for another $100 bucks.

That paclite looks like a great suggestion. One question though: how does it compare to Cabela's Guidewear jacket ($229)? What's the word on Cabela's customer service reputation? (read quite a few horror stories, but not sure whether they're exceptions or the rule). LL Bean is tempting in that regard...

14. Steve Unwin

Steve Unwin Active Member

Cabela's is generally pretty good when it comes to their own brand gear. There are horror stories out there but lots of success stories too. I've had more trouble at REI than cabela's.

15. shadowcast

shadowcast Member

Yikes, that surprises me about REI. I wish there were a Cabela's in Seattle, or at least closer than Lacey.