Light biters

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by SciGuy, Aug 21, 2012.

1. D Weibel

D Weibel New Member

Ditto here. Saw a 10 or so fishing and not even a bite.

2. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

Yep 1 for 1 for me today. Caught another shaker shortly after that would almost count but I'll leave it 1:1. :) Very slow this morning. Started picking up a bit just before 8 and the action slowed again by about 9. Caught the fish on a tube clouser, chartreuse over shrimp fish scale material.[​IMG]

3. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

BTW, Josh I assume you're the Josh I met in the parking lot this AM. Sorry, it was early and I didn't make the connection at the time :confused: Nice to meet you.

4. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Nice work Matt!

5. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Nice job Mt! I tried to drag my butt out of bed to hit it before work but I was just too tired. Sounds like I didn't miss too much but very glad you stuck one!

6. SciGuy

SciGuy Active Member

I saw this one finning in the shallows and set the hook on the first strip:

[​IMG]

7. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

Nice job (again)! :) Do you have a close-up of your fly? You said it was a shock and awe style?

8. SciGuy

SciGuy Active Member

Below is as good of a picture as I've got. It looks good in the water and opens up a bit in between strips. Very simple...just some Fishair and Fish Scale.

[​IMG]

9. Nick Clayton

Sci, you're my inspiration! Way to go! I'm hoping to find some of that action one of these days. I just can't seem to keep the darn things hooked.

10. toadthedry

toadthedry Member

Hi Sci,
    I notice your stinger hook is way back beyond where the tube and junction tubing end. Is that just because it was puled out when taking the fish off or if that is how you get it to sit when fishing, how do you do that? Also,I can not tell the difference in your fly between the fishair and fish scale. What part is what? Ie are you using mostly fishair and just some fishscale as accent?
    Good job on the fishing.
    Thanks
    Mike

11. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

I'm guessing the hook just came out of the holder during the process of catching the fish. I have tied some tubes recently one protube flextubes and tie them with a longer tube section so that the hook sits further back.

I was wondering the same thing about the fly, but it looks like the wing is the fish scale (you can see the crinkled flash in it). Maybe the belly is then the fishair. I'm not familiar with fishair though.

12. SciGuy

SciGuy Active Member

I was transported to Alaska for about 15 minutes this morning...

[​IMG]

...and when I returned, there he was, The Legend, showing a Dime Bright slab of chrome exactly who rules the beach.

[​IMG]

Regarding the fly, I've been mixing materials lately. For first light I'm using all Fish Scale and for later on it is about a 50:50 mix with Fishair. Fish Scale seems too flashy when the sun is hitting the water. Yes, as Matt said, the hook had pulled out of the holder/connecter...but not by much. I position the hook way back such that only the longest fibers stretch out beyond the bend of the hook. That said, I'm not really sure the specific fly pattern and/or material(s) matters all that much. Shock & Awes tied the usually way with Slinky Fibre are working well too...as are stinger Clousers.

13. Josh Smestad

Josh Smestad aka Mtnwkr

Nice Guys.. I'm headed to Cali for the next week, hope there's still some action when I get back!

14. Nick Clayton

Nice work Bill!! I planned to hit it early but work problems kept me up till after midnight and I couldn't drag myself to early. Will give em hell tonight.

15. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Nice work Bill & Tim. Two more days of work for me then nine straight days of fishing.