Lightweight, sweet, Deschutes cannon?

chromeseeker

Where's the Bucket?
At some point in one's double-hander (and single-hander) career, you get to the point where you want a very specific rod for each situation.

So, I may be in the market this summer for a sweet, light-in-the-hand DH rod that would be great on med.-larger rivers and would be for floating line work only (most likely with a Scandi setup). The keys here are light and powerful. Since most of the Deschutes fish are your typical 6-10 pounders (this summer was an exception) I'm not looking for a meat stick. Just something that's fun, powerful and light.

Anyone have any recs that will meet these requirements? I need another rod like a hole in the head, but...

Cheers,
CS

My reccomendation would be either beulah's 12'7 7/8 or their 13'3 7 weight spey in their new line of spey rods. the beulah elixer scandi line is about as sweet as it gets for dry line spey casting

Echo 2 61- 71-, or 8124. Also: Snowbee Torridge. Both are great Scandi head rods. Both are light, med. fast, and nice to cast all day long.

I like the AFS on both, plus Snowbee's 44' floating head on the Torridge.

Tom

The ONLY Answer...

Burkie 7127-4

I would settle for a Winston BII-MX 12'3" 7/8 as well or the Anderson Custom Rod 7129-4. Both are much more rod than the Burkie, but sweet.

I would shy away from the really short rods and the longer rods.

Guideline LPXe 12'6'' 7/8 is my sweetheart !! Very light in hand , but packs a punch !!

I line this baby with a Guideline DDC Connect 8/9 Intermediate belly with tips @ 32' , 340 grains for sunk line work and use a 7/8 PT floater @ 35' , 350 grains for dry line stuff .

I'm thinking about getting it's bigger brother the 13' 8/9 LPXe as well .

Mike

Jergens

AKA Joe Willauer
At some point in one's double-hander (and single-hander) career, you get to the point where you want a very specific rod for each situation.

So, I may be in the market this summer for a sweet, light-in-the-hand DH rod that would be great on med.-larger rivers and would be for floating line work only (most likely with a Scandi setup). The keys here are light and powerful. Since most of the Deschutes fish are your typical 6-10 pounders (this summer was an exception) I'm not looking for a meat stick. Just something that's fun, powerful and light.

Anyone have any recs that will meet these requirements? I need another rod like a hole in the head, but...

Cheers,
CS
7136 z-axis. It is fast but definitely light in hand, and a 6-10 lbs fish puts a great bend in it. a 7/8 ot 8/9 afs and away you go!

Meiser 12.6' 6-8 wt with a Hardy St Aiden reel. Small handle and light reel, it feels like a single hander. Can chuck floating lines and skagits with no problems. Bought it for the same reasons you're thinking

Joe

inland

Whats wrong with the 1307-3 T&T you wrote about in the skagit compact thread? If you are feeling that is a little too much rod, and like the fast action T&T's, drop down to the 1206-3 with a CND GPS 5/6 line.

William

My reccomendation would be either beulah's 12'7 7/8 or their 13'3 7 weight spey in their new line of spey rods. the beulah elixer scandi line is about as sweet as it gets for dry line spey casting
Yes! The new Beulah Platinum Series is a sweet little rod. I was fortunate enough to be able to fish the 13'2" 7 wt prototype this last October and it is sweet. I had to have one and it just arrived this week. The 12' 6" 6wt in the same Platinum series is a real Gem as well.