Like plugging Holes in a Dike

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by miyawaki, Mar 4, 2003.

1. dlw

dlw New Member

I don't think it's a matter of the direct pressure on the river. I agree that 18 guys will have little impact during the time they are fishing, since the Henrys Fork already gets a significant amount of pressure. I was referring to the indirect effects, such as the thousands af poeple who watch the contest and decide "hey that looks like a great place to fish." In a few years, an already crowded fishery may get 2X worse. This exposure also carries over to other Idaho streams as well. I guess I'm somewhat of a selfish fisherman, but I like unknown rivers to stay that way. Even though Idaho is not a trophy trout destination like Montatna, I prefer to fish their because I know I wont have to compete with 20 other guys on a stretch of river.

Besides the effects of added pressure, these contests also drag down fly fishing in general. Just look at bass fishing now. It's a joke. In those tournaments you have guys who wear shirts with as many sponsor patches as jeff gordons race car, flying down the lake in their $50,000 bass boat, who can land a 4lb bass in about 5 seconds. Add all the competition to this and what do you get. Hardly resembles fishing anymore.
    Fly fishing torunaments are not nearly this bad, but I'm sure bass tournaments had to start somewhere. The ideas of competing and fly fishing, just seem like two totally differnt things to me. I enjoy fly fishing, because its not a comercialized activity, I can relax, and I usually dont have to wory about doing better than everyone else.

2. cmtundra

cmtundra New Member

I suppose my feelings are mixed on the subject. I'm not totally against the idea, though. I've watched that show (don't remember the name of it) a few times & I like it. It's well done I think. Bass tournaments feature dozens of guys jetting all over a lake from spot to spot as fast as they can. It focuses on speed & covering a lot of water. ESPN's great outdoor games (?) show is nothing like that. They have a few folks, each in their own spot. They sneak up on spots just like you or I would. They normally talk real soft, if at all. If there weren't any cameras, they'd be just a handful of normal guys fly fishing. I think what most people aren't liking about the idea, is the cameras. The show, to me is kinda' educational & tastefully done. As far as the show over-publicizing and consequently over-crowding a particular river...I doubt it. I don't believe people are watching it to try to find hot spots. I don't remember the names or locations of any of the rivers they've featured. I just got a kick outta the experience, so to speak. -there's my 0.00 "sense"-worth.
    easygoer

3. GreekGeek

GreekGeek New Member

It's kind of like when "That Damn Movie" came out...in that it has given Fly-Fishing a much more public view. In many respects this has been a mixed blessing. It has brought more pressure to the waters that we like to fish, but it has also provided a few more flyshops and a lot more of a consumer market to chose from... There aren't just 2 or 3 major Fly-Fishing companies out there to choose from, there's hundreds. As a frugal consumer I think that's a big plus.

One of the big things that I think is being overlooked in comparing Fly-Fishing to Bass-Fishing is...Bass-Fishing has long been the preoccupation with the toothless-beer-swilling-trailer park inhabitants around our great United States. Now granted this is a huge stereotype...but in many senses it is true. Fly-fishing is a gentleman's sport. I believe it will remain a gentleman's sport. I don't think that "Bubba", after finishing his 12 pack of Milwaukee's Best and watching the ESPN Fly-Fishing special, is going to say, "Gonna have t' git me one a them there fancy fly rods momma, I got a hankerin' to throw me some line":p And of course, if there happens to be a NASCAR event on opposite of the ESPN special we've got nothing whatsoever to worry about!

Of course, that's just my two denarii worth.

--GreekGeek

4. AClassicJourney

AClassicJourney New Member

Home Page:
    I really like the idea of an "ESPN Sucks" t-shirt. I'll be selling them at the floating concession stands that I own all the exclusive rights to on the Snake. Also I will have hotdog vendors in Float tubes that will be shouting "Get your River Dogs", but never in any of the competitor's back casts. We respect thoroughly the river and its will to make itself an even playing field for the score keepers. Long live capitalism maquerading as competition.

Please let's not kid ourselves, in the end it's about the almighty buck. I thought we fished so we could forget about the rat race and the money that drives it. If you really want to nip these contests in the bud, look to see who sponsors them and then light up those companie's e-mails with messages of refusing to buy their products.

On the other hand, I have enjoyed many a Sunday afternoon of football and I have been know to get wrapped up in League night as well. Maybe I'll start the Wednesday evening rise League, but I don't know how we'll establish a handicap system. Nah, I just stick to bowling. No Mosquitoes and I don't have to pack in the beer.

5. reaganfly

reaganfly New Member

I am really not trying to be an agitator, and I thought about this a long time. It strikes me as odd that a person with a link to a guide service in their post is calling out ESPN for promoting capitalism as competition. Making money off of the fish is making money, whether from a drift boat or with a tv camera. Nothing personal, it just put a burr in my saddle.

6. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!

Home Page:
    Well of course it's personal, and you should have kept it that way...

Speaking for myself on this, as a guide and as a fly fisher, I strongly object to the ESPN fly fishing competitions.

I do this because of the way they behaved up in Lake Placid, New York when they held the games up there. The way they managed the water and the fish was a farce. Many northeast regional groups were very upset with the whole thing. Many individuals also spoke up about this. The state of New York saw it as another promotional opportunity to oversell fishing in the area and proceeded to dump a bunch of unusually large,( for their regular stocking programs), fish in the waters for competition. The locals were roundly snubbed off of their own water as the V.I.P.'s took over.

I see no redeeming value in fly fishing competitions as a way to promote or model any type of real conservation ethic.

And I think that the way I guide; "Hike and Wade,No Kill, Catch and Release Only, Barbless Hooks, Leave-No-Trace" ,speaks for it's self.

It is not just about " making money off the fish". It is about sharing a respect and reverence for the natural world and for the arts of fly fishing. It is about a way of life.

7. AClassicJourney

AClassicJourney New Member

Home Page:
    Burr in the Saddle- As you may have noticed I work in Missoula, which was the primary site that ESPN wanted to use for the competition. It was denied by the State of Montana. As a business person it makes perfect sense for me to welcome as many competitions as possible to the valley I grew up in. More anglers know about us, more boats for me, right.

As my post suggested my primary goal isn't money, it is the sharing of our sport with others that respect the water and the experience. If there is one business that is almost a guarantee to never get rich it is the guide business. Yes, I don't do it for free and some of my bills are paid by feeding fish flies, but I am unwilling to sell out some of the virtues that make this great sport what it is for a more money. As with any profession- some doctors do it for the money, and others do it to heal.

Old Joke-
    How do you make a little fortune in fly fishing?

Start with a big fortune.