Line reccomends for Hardy Jet 4/5

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by landlocked, Jun 7, 2017.

Tags:
  1. landlocked

landlocked Active Member

Trying out a 10'6" 4/5 Jet switch. I have a few lines to mess around with, one integrated, then some heads I think will be too heavy (440-480grn). Just wondered if anyone has experimented with this rod. I'm primarily looking at it as a streamer rod for trout in western rivers. Thanks.

2. snukes

snukes New Member

Hi! Have you found out anything that works for you on that rod? I just ordered the same one and is thinking of putting a opst commando head on it but I am unsure of which weight.

3. Alaskan

Alaskan Active Member

I just ordered the 4/5 and the 6/7. Will post results when I get them. Have been fishing echo sr 4wt and Redington Hydrogen 3 wt on my lake for a while now and love them. I also use a Redington Dually 11ft 5wt to toss and swing big stuff. Hardy has discontinued the Jet series according to the web. But will register the rods for warranty any way.

4. Alaskan

Alaskan Active Member

Alright first big disclaimer, I am not an experienced two hander guru just been at it for a couple years. I mainly use my light rods to chuck steamers and buggers in my lake for rainbows. I have about five hours of fishing this rod now. All striping big size 6 conehead buggers, and Sculpzillas. I started with a 330 grain Scout head with OPST bucket sink tip and aforementioned bugger. The rod seemed a little sluggish with that combo so after about 30 mins I switched to a 300 grain OPST commando head, bucket tip, with bugger. Rod seemed a lot happier with that setup. I also threw an ambush triangle taper 8 wt (290 grain) with a fast sink poly-leader and the ever present bugger. It cast pretty well with that set up but I think the 7wt would have been perfect. All in all pretty fast action rod easy to cast, very few places you can overhand cast on my lake due to steep bank , brush, but it really cast well when I tried it with Ambush line. Hope this helps to give a starting point.

Kyle Smith likes this.