Ling Cod Recipes?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by yellowlab, May 16, 2010.

1. Thanks Sam, WFF'rs, go to Moldychum.com and vote for the slab of the month... Ling Cod on the Fly Rod!

2. colton rogers

colton rogers wishin' i was fishin'

if your going to poach it, may i suggest a pressure cooker. ive never had anything come out tough from a pressure cooker :)

3. clausbelly

clausbelly New Member

If ling cod is handled on the deck correctly it doesnt much matter how it's cooked, it's awesome! In fact with both lings and Halibut I like to get my first taste on the water sushi style yummy! Many times I have heard of people cutting their line to release them as they did not want to touch them.

4. alpinetrout

alpinetrout Banned or Parked

Yeah, worms are tasty.

5. Ron Olsen

Ron Olsen Active Member

We cube the fish, than marinate in olive oil with salt, pepper, rosemary, thyme, garlic, and oregano. A few hours works best. Then cut up colored peppers (light oil/salt coating also) and shish kebab the lot. A few brats mixed in are good also. About four minutes on a side with a well oiled and very hot grill is all it takes, and it won’t overcook. A lighter Pinot or NZ Sauvignon Blanc to accompany.
    Ronbow

6. Pat Mahony

Pat Mahony Member

AK Powder has it down pretty good,

I like pabst, flour, baking soda, cheyenne, and salt for a batter. Ling cod makes some killer fish-n-chips!! Mean looking ling btw!

7. Charlie S

Charlie S Confrimed Reprobate

Try fileting next time. Then top with a mixture made of 1/2 cup mayo, 2 Tblsp Garlic Puree, Two Green Onions finely chopped, 2 Tblsp Fresh Lemon Juice, and equal amounts of shredded Asiago and Parm cheeses. Make topping ahead and put as much cheese in to make it really thick.

Put a thin layer on fish and then broil on low broil until topping is browned and bubbly. But, if your filet is too thin just cook until you think the fish is just done.Delicious.

You can also make this topping for some really tasting garlic/cheese french bread. Give the bread a thin coat of garlic puree before putting on topping. Then broil on high until cheese is browned and bubbly.

8. Scott Orness

Scott Orness Small fish in a big pond

I've never caught a ling on the fly, but caught a 35.5" fish yesterday evening (pic attached). It weighed in at exactly 17lbs. Your 52 incher was definitely not 17lbs. If it was it was a snake. You are looking at a weight around 30+ lbs when you get above 50 inches. That is HUGE!

9. alpinetrout

alpinetrout Banned or Parked

I agree. This one weighed 17 on the Boga.

[​IMG]

10. Scott Orness

Scott Orness Small fish in a big pond

Ate the ling tonight with good company. Cut into serving size pieces, dipped in melted butter, coated with cajun and pan seared it. A-frickin-mazing! I usually screw up my ling or halibut by overcooking it, but I followed someones advice of "if it flakes it is overdone" and it worked perfectly. Took it off the heat right at the perfect time. I convinced many tonight that ling is better than a nice butt. Cheers.

11. Daryle Holmstrom

Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Fillet with skin off, egg wash then bread crumbs fry in half butter and olive oil until brown on both sides salt and pepper to taste maybe a dash of Jhonnys

Just did halibut this way tonight and ready to count the stars. LOL

Daryle