Ling Flies - Colors

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by GLSteel, Mar 12, 2014.

1. stilly stalker

stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

Looks good!

2. pbunbury

pbunbury Tights Lines

My .02, bigger hook and bigger fly. Don't waste time with a stinger hook. I use 4/0 streamer hooks and I fish flies that are 10+ inches, no need to worry about short strikes. Lings inhale the entire fly. You won't ever be left wondering if you had a strike, you'll know...then just hold on tight!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GLSteel likes this.
  3. GLSteel

GLSteel New Member

Thanks for your input - I'll be sure to upsize in the future

4. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

Very nice looking fly but I agree with pbunny. No need for the stinger and make it bigger. That fly, however looks as though it would be a killer Tuna fly.

5. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

Just measured my ling flies (all on single hooks). On the smaller patterns the fly extended 4 inch beyond the hook and on the large flies more than 8 inches. In more than 25 years of chasing lings with flies I can not recall a single take that I thought I missed due to a lack of a trailer hook. A big advantage of fishing without a trailer hook is that you will greatly reduce the incidental by-catch of the protected rockfish (especially the smaller fish).

GLSteed -
    That fly will fish. Lings are very toothy critters that will shred your flies. By using yak hair and Kevlar thread you can extend your fly life though expect to go through several flies during a good day of fishing. I think my personal record is 22 lings on a single fly before it was destroyed however any fly that is still fishing after 5 o r 6 fish is a winner. Also consider using a "bite leader" of a foot or so. I usually fish 15# or 20# leaders with 40 or 50# Ultra Green "bite leaders". While it is matter of personal taste none of flies in my ling box is weighted and even the largest (a foot long) can be casted 70 feet with an 8 weight. When combined with the appropriate lines I have never had a difficult time reaching the fish with those unweighted flies (at least down to 45 feet or so).

Curt

Porter, Jeff Dodd and pbunbury like this.
  6. pbunbury

pbunbury Tights Lines

Here's a size comparison for you. The smaller hook is a Size 1 Octopus, the larger hook is what I use for Lingcod.

Attached Files:

7. Jered

Jered Active Member

Wait! What!?

There's Lingcod out there to be caught on flies!?

I'll scourer through the old posts and see what I can learn.

This sounds fun.

Jered

8. GLSteel

GLSteel New Member

Wow that much bigger, okay. I'll have to see if I can get my hands on some hooks that big

9. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Bigger! You need it to depth fast. Use bunny strips for heavy dubbing. Make it bushier, the size of your hand or larger. Those bottom fish are mean fish engulfers. Throw EM some meat!

Porter, GLSteel and Nick Clayton like this.
  10. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!

Home Page:
    The deeper that you fish the less light that enters the water, and the color spectrum narrows too. So you might consider reading this book: "What Fish See." It's an eye opener. Generally the fluorescent colors reflect more light. And red in particular is said to reflect light deeper, and be most effective at the greater depths. One fly that I have always liked for ground fishing is Ed Givens Barred & Black. And for deeper fishing I will add red grizzly hackle and red flashabou and red eyes and a red collar.

11. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

Go
    Roger that - red will get tossed this year!... To the fish that is. ;)

12. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide.

Cranberry Country...a glorified coastal swamp!
    I gear fish for 'em with huge white twirl tail grubs on 2 oz jigheads, and 6" or bigger holographic swim-baits. I'm a natural born heathen!

13. a_fors

a_fors Active Member

I guide in the San Juans and in area 7 you can fish a treble for lings, and I'm pretty sure the same is true in all marine areas in washington. This is straight from a game wardens mouth.

14. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

Puget Sound = single, barbless hooks for all species unless the regs have changed for this year.. That means even bullheads.

Jeff Dodd likes this.
  15. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!

Home Page:

Even if treble hooks were legal in this circumstance I would not use them. Single barbless hooks are proven to be less injurious to protected species. And with slot limits on ground fish you need to be just as careful with your hooks and lures as you are with the steelhead or salmon or cutthroat that you have to release.

Jim Wallace and Jeff Dodd like this.