Lingcod Thread

I stayed out there last year, and never really found a beach I wanted to fish, but there has to be be some salmon cruising across a point somewhere.

Good luck.

porterHause

Just call me Jon
Jumping in on last year's thread...

just wondering if anyone has tried out the Rio Leviathan lines for Lings? An anonymous fly shop guy suggested it to me, but as it's a tropical line, I'm a little skeptical. Anyone used these lines?

Have not tried that line but usually try to stay clear of the warm water lines for around here. They will coil up like a son of a gun. I picked up the rio coldwater striper line 550 grains of awesomeness with an intermediate running line. Works great on my 12 wt.

Chris Bellows

Your Preferred WFF Poster
i would recommend using a RIO Clear intermediate running line matched with 30' of either T-14 or T-17. A system like this lets you fish lighter heads if you need to like during salmon seasons on smaller rod weights. It also allows you to quickly change from T-14 to T-17 if the current and/or wind picks up. I haven't found the need for anything heavier than T-17

The integrated lines are very nice but I like the flexibility of changing heads if I need to.

Coldwater Striper or Depthfinder or Big Game. I would be skeptical of the Leviathan too, it's a warmwater line with a core designed to be limp at tropical-type temps, not cold Pacific temps.

I have a 18' tiderunner and would be happy to hook up with someone if they know what they're doing. I've never fished Lings but am a pretty good learner.

Jumping in on last year's thread...

just wondering if anyone has tried out the Rio Leviathan lines for Lings? An anonymous fly shop guy suggested it to me, but as it's a tropical line, I'm a little skeptical. Anyone used these lines?
I use mine for albacore in the ocean. It works fine, but that blue water is a little warmer.

ibn

What kind of flylines are you guys using? T-14+ to a running line? Any advice as to how to spool up?
I've played around with a lot of lines, the Rio Striper line is my favorite, I use a 300grain on my 7wt. I like that it's fully integrated, no hinging or casting hang-ups from loop-to-loop connections. They're shooting heads, so if you double-haul, you can get fire off 80' out in your 2nd cast. Less false casting = less tired arm = fly in water more = more fish. I use the same line for bucktailing and casting to coho/kings in the straits and pacific (from a boat).

http://www.rioproducts.com/fly-lines/saltwater/sinking/striper-26ft-sink-tip/

My .02$

rotato

Fished 11/13 area today
Windy no lings
Caught a nice copper rockfish on gear
That striper line casts great but with winds at 15 -20 I'm messy
Good luck out there

I was catching lings in 70 feet of water out in the ocean last weekend with my 550 grain Rio coldwater striper line. Even with fairly windy conditions, including during a small craft advisory yesterday, its just all about boat control so you can get down to where they live.