Local fish movement prediction?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by HotinTotten, Sep 29, 2005.

1. HotinTotten

HotinTotten New Member

Ive been catching quite a few small resident silvers out in my area of Totten Inlet, my success has grown the past 2 weeks with a huge biomass of small fry that has filled the water. Great fun on my 3/4 rod, each 12-16 incher feels like a monster! Sitting here dejected and stir crazy today watching the rain whipping sideways out the window (making me think 4 times about hopping into the kayak) I decided that it's time to quit lurking the forum here, and start posting to one of you local fish psychics: Can someone tell me if I should plan on getting out the heavier rod soon, and spare the death of my light rig to a mismatched Silver? Do larger Coho move into Totten? Will I ever catch a Cut out here? Will Christmas bring me a new reel? :p Perhaps someone knows of the fish movement in the area here and can help me out a bit...Good luck to all!

2. Teeg Stouffer

Teeg Stouffer Fish Recycler

Home Page:
    Welcome to the board.

I don't know about adult coho, but Chum definitely come into Totten. They ought to be showing in the next month, and your 4 wt is definitely not enough for those brutes, some would say an 8 wt is pushing your luck.

3. Les Johnson

Les Johnson Les Johnson

Your rod is too light even for cutthroat in the salt. You can't play them quickly enough and they often die even after being released apparently no worse for wear. Remember, there is mortality even with catch-and-release fishing. It is higher with overly light tackle.

Good Fishing,
    Les Johnson

4. HotinTotten

HotinTotten New Member

Ok, you caught me trying to be a bit machismo, but I really am fish lover, and not a fish killer, I call a fish a catch if I can get a jump out of him. Let those silvers have a bit of slack in a few seconds and they tend to 'auto release' quite quickly and I start over (spares me the embarrasment of saying he got off before I landed him LOL). I did pack up the lightweight rod and get out the 6/7 today, harder the feel the small ones, but better safe than sorry. Auto release still worked as well however!! Was effective on a dozen fish today, the rest needed a little hand-help getting free.

Anybody ever fish those Chum along Steamboat out of a kayak? Ive heard the beach gets pretty packed, if you see some fool in an orange boat juggling a paddle, rod, flies, fish, and net, you know who it is!

5. HotinTotten

HotinTotten New Member

Les, nice book, btw, you've made me wish I lived closer to one of the major estuaries! Great fly patterns you display, made me break out the tying equipment for the first time in several years after getting your book a couple weeks ago.