NFR LOL government in a nutshell

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Evan Virnoche, Oct 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

The AHCA is still not supported by the majority of Americans...across all political parties. Were it put to a vote today, it would fail. That said, it is current law because a then one party rule of everything decided that was what they wanted ("we need to approve the bill so we can see what's in it" :rolleyes:). Since Obama has seen fit to offer a 1 year extension to companies, the House is asking the same extension be given to everyone. To say "no compromise" is essentially ignoring or giving any consideration to the majority of Americans.

2. Jamie Wilson

Jamie Wilson Active Member

3. freestoneangler

So you did in fact follow, but choose to ignore fact... got it.

Jamie Wilson likes this.
  4. Robert Easterday

Robert Easterday Member

This is a really perceptive comment. Nearly all the biographical anecdotes I've read about the careers of Senators and Reps end up with this as a lesson: "Play the game or get voted out". It has just gotten much worse in recent years. Someone suggested getting rid of the PACS. PACs (and computerized gerrymandering) have intensified the worst tendencies of the system. "Vote the bozos out!" and their replacements will find themselves backed into the same corner in a few years. Unfortunately, unlike what the media portrays, it's no longer a symmetric argument and the stakes are higher. Monied interests (not just money) end up ruling the day.

5. _WW_

_WW_ Fishes with Wolves

You keep firing people and it will have an effect...it always does. Been there, done that
    But it ain't gonna happen to congress 'cause this country doesn't have the stomach for a good fight anymore.

6. Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

The president has compromised on many things, he said he would not compromise on this law, so the other side tried to force his hand by closing down the government, hurting millions in the process. He is true to his word and won't compromise, and that makes it HIS fault? That's some strange logic.

Jeff Sawyer and cabezon like this.
  7. freestoneangler

Feel confident enough to put the law to a vote of the people? If your so indignant about Obama being true to his word "not willing to compromise", why has he already done so on several occasions as to how it is applied? Are you suggesting that revising the law is OK so long as it's done unilaterally and his way? A very reasonable compromise is on the table.

8. wik

wik Member

doe's not matter if there is a D or and R. after the politicians name they are both the same.
    the angle down slope is coming. one group at 80 Mph, the other at 75 Mph but it is still coming.
    prepare while you can.

9. SteveA

SteveA Gnu to the board

The issue is bigger than the ACA. Ask yourself if a small group of representatives should be able to hold the country hostage to get legislation they can't or won't propose and pass through the normal legislative process? If so, where does it end. Maybe the left- wingers can use this method to get gun control measures passed (just an example, nobody get their panty's in a wad).

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD

10. freestoneangler

11. generic

generic Active Member

Aren't you going to get paid for your time off, after you return to work? I'm sure it sucks and all, but at least you'll get paid for this time. Heck, look at it as a "delayed" vacation and going fishing! :)

12. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

Some of us independents would say the current House Tea Party hostage crisis is a tantrum reacting to legislation that is imperfect if not crap, but was passed democratically, implicitly approved by voters in the 2012 election, and deemed constitutional by a mostly conservative SCOTUS. It's a done deal for now. Wait until 2014 or 2016 and maybe the balance of power will shift and the law can be changed or repealed on its own without being tied to our nation's debt servicing and other unrelated issues. SteveA makes a great point above about the current situation setting up a potentially damaging precedent in which a well-organized minority in the legislature can hold the democratic process hostage. It's bad for everyone.

And by the way, just because people disagree with you doesn't make them liberal. They might be Reagan conservatives who haven't budged much since the 1980's while the rest of the GOP has plunged so far right they've fallen off the edge of their flat earth and into the twilight zone.

13. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

At the time I posted this, no. That was voted upon this morning. Once they voted to pay those who had to stay home thru all this, there was a quick response of "well why should I go to work at all then on Monday?" By those who have been required to go to work for free. Then just saw a few ninutes ago that all of us are being recalled Monday. apparently its been decided by the powers that be that the same act that protects military pay during a shutdown also protects those whose jobs support the military. Its great news for my house and my whole county really... but I do have mixed emotions.

Evan Burck and Chris Johnson like this.
  14. generic

generic Active Member

Glad to hear that Nick. I'm sure (regardless of which party they support), others understand your mixed feelings.

Though I wholeheartedly agree with you on your first statement, the second one is, well... just wrong.

http://www.treasurydirect.gov/govt/reports/pd/histdebt/histdebt_histo5.htm

Now, if you were to say "Our deficit is accumulating at a slower rate in the past five years, than it has in previous years.", that would be a more accurate way of stating it. Or, "We're sinking, just not as fast as we were five years ago." ... but we're still sinking.

Here's the interesting thing: Look at who has been in control of the House of Representatives during our nations fastest debt growth, and compare that to who's been in control of the House during it's decline. Remember, it's the House who sets (writes it into law) the budget.

15. generic

generic Active Member

Oh, and I forgot to mention that our decline in the Iraq/Afghanistan wars over the past few years declines our spending a lot... a whole lot.

Not to mention that we haven't actually had a budget passed since Obama's been in office. Not that it's his fault, but when the Democrats controlled the House his first two years, why didn't they pass one then?

There's blame to go around for everyone on that one!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.