NFR LOL government in a nutshell

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Evan Virnoche, Oct 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

-1. I, for one, would love to see a more sane democratic party come back. I don't play for either established team, but tend to lean a little right of center. But I think the balance is pretty important. It just sucks that the left side is being overrun with crazy as of late.

...that mirror thing at work again ;)

2. plaegreid

plaegreid Saved by the buoyancy of citrus

Bring back the Bull Moose party! #zombieRoosevelt2016

3. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    I'm not a fan of either team (D or R). But the brand of crazy that is becoming the loudest voice on the right is one that rubs me in the worst of ways.

underachiever and Lugan like this.
  4. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

Too bad this thread got testy. It was a pretty civil discussion for a while.

I'm surprised a moderator hasn't jumped in. Chris, Jerry and Ed must be off the grid together floating the Smith or MF Salmon.

Dave Kaiserman likes this.
  5. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    Actually, I think it's going well. We're disagreeing without flinging crap at each other. I don't think civil disagreement is a bad thing. I've seen threads go way, way worse than this. In the end, we all want this shutdown to be done and over with. We all want to see those govt employees out of work to get back to putting food on the table. We disagree on who should get health care and how, but it doesn't seem to be getting uncivil.

6. Flyborg

Flyborg Active Member

Not really testy. When I see snide remarks, though, I see cowardice, and then I feel obligated to demonstrate the superiority of overt contempt versus underhanded language.

Jamie Wilson and Lugan like this.
  7. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    My more testy comments usually come when I'm trying to post from my phone while sitting on the toilet.

Flyborg and Lugan like this.
  8. Richard Olmstead

Richard Olmstead BigDog

It shocks me to see the absence of historical perspective when conservatives complain about Democratic politics. On almost any policy issue where a historical record can be tracked back 50 years, the current administrations stance would be considered middle-of-the-road Republicanism in the 60s or 70s. It is probably just ignorance of the past, but it surely gives credence to those who say it is racism, since the rhetoric seems to have been elevated since Obama took office.

The ACA just happens to be the focus the right has settled upon. As Paul Krugman (2008 Nobel Prize in Economics) said in his column this week: "Republicans aren't worried that Obamacare will fail, they are worried that it will succeed," a far worse outcome in their minds.

I personally don't understand where (or why) our society went off the track of pursuing social equity and justice for all, and onto the "I got mine" track. Everyone seems to have their view of what's wrong with America; this is how I see it.

D

9. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    Lots of truth here. My biggest issue with Obama is that he is governing pretty damn close to the way Bush did. Yet, those on the "other side" oppose everything he supports.

The ACA, or any other government health care program succeeding would be disastrous for the Republican party. They know this, and they want to stop it from even being attempted. Having it fail would only give them the "we told you so" credibility.

weiliwen, dfl and jessejames like this.
  10. generic

generic Active Member

Come on man... leave the visuals out! :D

11. Chris DeLeone

Chris DeLeone Active Member

I consider myself right of center - But to Say that Obama Care is middle of the road policy and then quote Paul Krugman is pretty funny to me Richard.
    Obama Care did not get one R vote, not even the most enlighten Republicans thought this bill was good for the country. Nancy, Harry and our President used their control of Congress and the Executive branch to push this into law. I often wonder how a scholar like Paul Krugman would react if a Republican Congress and President pushed some kind of social change with out one D vote. I think many Americans right and left of center are very concerned about more entitlements, more debt and more government control over the people - seeing that SS and Medicare are in such rough shape has to be cause of concern.

Its funny if Obama Care fails - no government official is going to say well it failed, we republicans told you so - so lets just dismantle this law. Now here is the scary part ...................ready, they will try and fix it with more laws, that won't work. So they will try and fix it with more laws, then a few more and more after that. Then in about 20 years our health care laws will look like our tax laws. Sounds like fun.

12. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

CAPOR8AD.jpg

Opps, sorry I misread. It said testy rather then tasty.

13. plaegreid

plaegreid Saved by the buoyancy of citrus

We could always, y'know, do a hard reset on the whole 'government' system... I'm for it if we miss the debt ceiling deadline.

14. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    I'm more in favor of the "Cascadia" idea myself.

plaegreid likes this.
  15. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows Your Preferred WFF Poster

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.