Lone Lake

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Jerry Metcalf, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Steve Kokita

Steve Kokita FISHON206

What's next....a large fishing dock with a MacDonalds and rental boats?? I liked it the way it was. A great year round place to flyfish.:beathead:

2. Caveman

Caveman Member

well to me it doesn't matter, So with the upgrades to the paking lot and ramp, doesn't matter to me. Lone is a pretty long drive for people who live off island to do fish. I don't think it will ever get the pressure most lakes get. To me the fish are smaller than they use to be, and there is a lot thicker algea than ever before during the summer months. Ever since they messed with the ecosystem on that lake it has not ever been the same. It is sad if you ask me.

Adam

3. Jeff Dodd

Jeff Dodd Active Member

Steve,
    McDonalds is not in the picture! I agree with your concerns about runoff from the parking area, but I welcome the planned improvments as a father and a resident of Island County.
    Lone lake will not likely see heavy pressure from any one recreation group - as caveman said - the moat keeps people away and those of us that live here count on that!

Caveman - You make a good point but I am counting on the fact that the lake will benefit over the long run. Fortunatly, groups like the homeowners who live on the lake, the local Whidbey fly club and the Evergreen fly club are paying close attention and putting a lot of effort ino keeping Lone Lake healthy.

4. YangUW

YangUW New Member

Just thought I would report, a buddy and I went out on Monday afternoon for the last few hours of daylight. The water looked great and we caught about 15 fish total from 13 to 18 inches. We were both using a lightly weighted fly kind of like a Carey's but with some red on the head (can't remember what they are called) about 10 feet deep, although I don't think they're too picky. There you go, FWIW.

5. Caveman

Caveman Member

The lakes road is no longer paved, it has about 2 inches of sand on it now. Fishing was good, landed 10 fish in 2 hours. Biggest was 18, had my nefew in the boat and he should have landed 5 for more but his reaction time is a little slow.

ADam

6. Jeff Dodd

Jeff Dodd Active Member

Busy day on the water today! Good to see lots of folks enjoying this weather! My 7 year old son and I mooched flies this afternoon - LDR 5 and hand-released 2 fish around 15 inches each. The white bunny leach pattern was the hot fly, weighted fly and intermediate sink tip line.

Jeff

7. Matt Baerwalde

Matt Baerwalde ...

Mooching flies? Do you just cast it out there and drift in the wind? How do you detect strikes?

8. Dave Boyle

Dave Boyle Active Member

Typically you get a tug, you tug back, fish on or off. Hold onto your rod at all times when your fly's in the water. I lost one rod @ Lone by this when I let go of it to talke a sip of beer. Now I ALWAYS have a piece of elastic cord wrapped round the butt when I fish like this.

Best,

Dave

9. Mark Yoshida

Mark Yoshida Active Member

Never fished Lone Lake before. Went on Sunday, weather was great and sun was out. Got to the lake about 9 am after missing the ferry I wanted. Had to try my new 3wt and type 3 sinking line. Got 2 within 15 minutes and had to work for the rest. C&R about 10 and LDR another 4. They took the darker BH WB and leech patterns. The takes were strong and the largest about 15-16". Dont know but I caught one that was deformed with stubby nose and lower lip extended past his nose by a good 1/2 inch. Left around 2 pm, happy with my new rod getting christened with some nice fish. I am hoping for good weather again. :thumb:

10. obiwankanobi

obiwankanobi Active Member

11. Go Fish

Go Fish Language, its a virus

Ah yes, the Lone Lake Stubby.
    I thought Stonefish took him home as a pet.

12. Mark Yoshida

That is him. Well, he is larger now since May so he is doing great at Lone. Hope he is always released and survives the eagles.

13. Steve Kokita

Steve Kokita FISHON206

Hey Clark&Lewis,

I fished Lone on Sunday too. What a great day to be on the water! I started about 12:20 and fished until 5:00. I ended the day releasing 17 all on chironomids with a 2wt! What a blast! I was in the little blue pram. Next time, say hi! See you on the water!---Steve

14. Matt Baerwalde

Matt Baerwalde ...

Holy cow, that's a good day for sure. What was the killer chironomid pattern? (Size/color/depth)?

15. Mark Yoshida

Hi Steve
    I was in the red pontoon. Thinking of going up on Saturday. Wife wants to shop at Langley while I fish. Guess you gotta give to get.