Long Lining W/ A Spey Rod

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by HauntedByWaters, Dec 15, 2008.

1. Jeremy Floyd

Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

Kerry,

There is a nice soft seam around the corner above that rootwad (if you are thinking of the same one) and just above the commonly fished section, that the fish get pressured into. It is nearly unfished except by me. Everyone skips it to re-pound the same spots.

2. _WW_

_WW_ Geriatric Skagit Swinger

Trust me, Kerry's been there.

3. Jeremy Floyd

Yeah I have had a few guys who were fishing the nice riffle between there and the stumps mention that only a couple guys have fished there, and they were all fly guys. I would be surprised if you local boys didn't have a good line on that stretch of water.

Using that long line technique, cept back bouncing a bead/glo-bug through there by letting line out, is money. Especially for silvers.

4. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

My buddy is thinking about writing an article called "Back Bouncing With A Fly Rod". Think that will get published?

5. floatinghat

floatinghat Member

Jason,

Are you casting straight down into the target area and then just holding the fly?

6. Jeremy Floyd

You may as well cast across at a 45 and get some swing and water covered, because you can always let the fly simmer below you afterwards.

7. HauntedByWaters

Well that sort of depends. I was thinking of using a tip that would be so fast that the cast and swinging would be a little tricky. I want something that will be near the bottom with the line under maximum tension and lift from the rod/river and this would be quite a bit faster than any sink tips I currently use.

Once the fly is out and swimming than you move the rod tip to swim the fly where you want. Strip in some line and toss a small mend to do a little swing left and right. Et cetera.

8. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Home Page:
    I have a whole mess of lead core in my garage. PM me if you woould like some. Nothing is gonns sink faster, especially if you have a section of thin line behind it.

Tex?,
    cds

9. floatinghat

floatinghat Member

Why not move to hardware? If you are just stripping line out and then dangling in holding water. It kind of removes the traditional challenge of flyfishing doesn't it? One of the things you need to consider in "high gradeing" water you are going pass by a lot of holding water by not swinging through it. Additionally, with the traditional cast, swing, step..... Crowd you may experience some speed of fishing questions.

That all said remember you don't have to drag the bottom, steelhead will move to a fly even in very cold water.

10. HauntedByWaters

HMMMMM

I sure don't think so.

Yes, I was thinking of this as a way to get at parts of the river that are passed over. It is not my primary way of fishing, more like another trick in the bag.

I wouldn't be doing this anywhere where you can even swing step to begin with. That is the point.

I agree 100%, but these types of spots are deep and the waters will be cold. Steelhead move a lot when they are on riffles but not necessarily the pockets I am thinking of.

I have to admit, if we could all just swing step those lovely riffles and never have to worry about being the 20th rod through the run that day and all catch a steelhead, this probably wouldn't get much attention from me.

11. Jeremy Floyd

I think you are way over doing this J. It works fine with just a plain ole 15' type III or VI.

It isn't worth doing if you limit yourself to only the marginal water that is less desireable and have to skip all the primo spots because your gear is unsuitable to fish it.

12. HauntedByWaters

Yeah I was just thinking of having another rig in the boat.

The comments have been helpful guys. Thank you.

13. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

double density compensated shooting heads fish the hangdown real nice, are nice to cast and cover water with, and you can fish equally well in close or far away.
    deeper faster runs (not ragers) would want an S2/S3 with a short leader and weighted fly,
    runs of 3-5 ft at walking speed you could fish an S1/S2 and hang it there as long as you like.

with those heads the line is like a laser from surface to tippet knot, less slack or droop than other types of heads.
    the hang and walk style, I did that a lot when SH because I had to. now since I'm DH I can cast over a lot more water, but still fish the dangle a lot.

It's a good strategic technique Jason, for all the reasons you mentioned. Laying the rod from side to side allows you to cover every inch of a huge swath of water, and there's less disturbance than what casting causes.
    hmmmm.....less ice in the guides too:thumb:...

14. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

you mean pinning?

15. Mark Bové

Mark Bové Chasin tail

Home Page:
    I resorted to plunking with a spey rod to slow down my fly last year