Long Rods

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by o mykiss, Nov 18, 2011.

1. TimDog

TimDog New Member

My bar none favorite so far is 15ft 8/9 MKS. Take a Carron 9/10 75 hack some line of the back of the head till it feels bout right and let'r rip.
    Tim

2. Klickrolf

Klickrolf Active Member

There are specific advantages to longer rods and heavier line ratings add to those advantages. A 10/11 15' or 11/12 17' rod will throw a larger or heavier fly or sink tip...furthur, if needed. The length of the rod is more useful for mending and you won't notice "less of a fight" from the fish. Lighter is never better in my book, land them quickly and release them quickly. There's so little difference in the experience that I'll always go for the longer rod and heavier line for the exact same reason. What's the advantage of a 7/8 or 8/9 15 footer? Don't see any but do see disadvantages. Fished a sage 8150 for years because it was the best speycaster I had, but the Daiwa AWF 9/11 with throw alot more weight and even mend more authoritively. I don't buy the light line long rod argument. The difference in "weight in hand" is so minimal that it doesn't come into play.

3. Wadecalvin

Wadecalvin Member

What line do you use to throw a heavier fly and sink tip further with a 15' 9/11 rod? I have a 15' for #10 but dont know what to do with it.

4. Idaho steel

Idaho steel Active Member

The CND GPS is a pretty nice line provided you can still find one. The old Bill Drury "impact spey" from Guidline was a friggin' fantastic line. Gone now as well...I have also chopped a Rio mid-spey and looped it. It worked just ducky, as would a similar setup with a Delta Long. Now that I think about it, the Delta Long is going bye bye too, so to obtain any of those lines you'll have to look on the secondary market unless some shop has one squirreled away somewhere. What are people thinking anyways? Can't comment on any other lines with tips.

5. Klickrolf

Klickrolf Active Member

Standard Delta is good with tips, delta long or Wulff TT for smaller stuff (not sure if the Triangle Taper, TT, is still available, I bought a bunch years ago). There's a ton of lines out there that might be better but I've not tried them.

6. Nooksack Mac

Nooksack Mac Active Member

I can't think of a single American long belly spey line that's still in production. Perhaps there are still a few made in England. All we can do is horde the ones we have, scout dusty fly shop back rooms, and learn to splice them. I have hopes that in a decade or three, long bellies will be rediscovered and reintroduced as "the latest improvement."

7. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

"Perhaps there are still a few made in England." As mentioned above the Carron Lines; properly matched to a 'heavy weight' (10/11's) the'rey out like a cannon ball. They even make a 'competition line' that's almost 200 feet long. It has to be, their comp team (constant winners) need one that long!

8. fisshman26

fisshman26 Member

Carron makes 8/9 lines in 55ft and 65ft, 9/10 in 55, 65, 75ft, 10/11 in 55, 65, 75, 85, 95ft and 11/12 in 65,75,85,95, and 105ft(the comp line)

9. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Many thanks for the complete listing of the Carron lines. Most of my fishing is done with Scandi type heads (RIO's AFS or custom cuts by Steve Godshall here in Medford). But for pure long line casting the Carron designs are the best I've ever used. Initially they were darned 'pricie' to say the least, but now highly (price wise) competitive with any US (and where-ever) produced full on floaters.

If you get the chance (jump at it!) to line your rod with one of these Puppies you'll be pulling out your cheque book/credit card in minutes.

10. fisshman26

fisshman26 Member

Fred, there is a `next generation` of Carron lines in the 55-85ft lengths that are more than just casting lines for sure, the 55`s and 65`s are pure fishing lines.

11. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Very interesting comment; not heard of that before. Any idea how these lines 'differ' from the standard designs.
    Fred

12. Joe Smolt

Joe Smolt Member

The feel of the fight is important to me in selecting a rod. My feeling is that longer rods give a duller fight, in the same way that the fight on a single hand rod is very very different than with a two-hander. In the same sense, it is why I find party boat fishing for salmon with a big old ulgy stick lacking. Subjective...yes, but it is something worth considering in this discussion. To me it is a question of rod length and wt of line.

Joe

13. TimDog

TimDog New Member

My shop just recently started selling Carron lines, and after a conversation with Bruce, he let me know that Carron lines are quite lovely w/tips and also with larger flies.
    Bruce advised me to try putting 8-10ft of T-8 or T-10 directly onto the end of line without cutting the line back at all. It worked fabulously, the Carron front taper is gorilla powerful , in the right hands it will turn over a significant sink tip and largish fly. Truely a "do-all" line.
    Thanks for the great advice Bruce. My customers also appreciate it as well. Will I see you at our spey clave this year??? I hear Travis is comming, I am looking forward to that!
    Tim

14. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

MORE INFO! MORE INFO!! My Carron's are years, and I do mean years, old. Time to update; send me a web link (I assume you have one) to 'pick and choose.'

Fred

15. fisshman26

fisshman26 Member