looking for a 4 weight affordable creek rod

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by cutthroat kid, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Bradley Miller

Bradley Miller Dances with fish

Pretty nice rod for the money. Love my CT.

2. Cedar

Cedar Active Member

Another vote for the CT...but if you are really looking for a small creek rod you might consider a 7.5 or 8 foot three weight. More delicate presentation and easier to cast in tighter spots and still plenty of rod to handle fish.

Stew McLeod likes this.
  3. kmac

kmac Active Member

I love my 4wt Redington CT for general trout fishing on small to medium sized rivers, but it's 8'6" long and not really suitable for smaller streams/creeks. I tested their shorter 3 wt but decided to stick with my 7' Cabelas fiberglass. It's a 4 wt but it casts and feels like a 3 wt and is my go-to small creek rod. If you're set on getting a Redington I'd strongly recommend the (CT) Classic Trout as these are really great rods. Many people have said they are quite similar to some of the much pricier Sage rods. The CTs were discontinued and replaced by the Temp series rods, but you can still pick up a new CT on Ebay for $100-$120 range. Keep in mind these are more of a medium action rod which is what I like, but some prefer the fast action rods.

4. almostacatch

almostacatch Let it Angle on the Dangle

I went cheap as I could with a Cabelas Traditional II ($49 on their spring clearance). I put a cheap DT floater on it and was good to go. She's made many a high country trip and Cabelas rod return deal is great just take it back to one of there stores and they'll give you a new one (think Walmart.) The rod itself isn't that bad it's not designed to cast a mile but what 7'6" 4wt is? It is accurate enough and being 7'6" long weight isn't an issue. For backbone it does fairly well my oldest son caught a 4# smallie with it on a wooly bugger and it held up well in the heat of the fight. If you have to go to wall-bela's give the Traditional 2 a shot it might not help you make it to the cover of the Orvis calalog but if it fails just bring it in or send it in and they'll fire you a new one.

Disclaimer: This is only if you can't find a way to support your local fly shop!

5. Kim McDonald

Kim McDonald member

Home Page:
    I fish a lot of small creeks, and a 4 weight is a big rod for creeks here in Washington. I'd drop down to a 3 weight or even 2.

Not inexpensive, but I do love Orvis Superfine rods for this type of fishing. You can often find them on eBay for less than a new one.

Also look at the LL Bean Pocketwater. Got great reviews last year. Never tried one, but it's in a good price range.

Kim

Kent Lufkin and Patrick Gould like this.
  6. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

I've got some LL Bean credit and I might end up with a Pocketwater. I'll post a mini review If I get it.

7. Greg Price

Greg Price Love da little fishies

See my photo. ' That is an average size fish in my fav small stream.

I love a 2 wt for these native trout. My vote is 2 wt, 7'3" 4 piece Echo carbon.

My favorite rod for the 4" to 8" trout I catch on small streams. I love the light weight, short rod that is easy to fish in the tight areas.

Excellent customer service based out of Vanc WA.

I broke the tip trying to remove a fly from 15ft up the tree. Bad Idea. Tip broke, fished the rest of the day with broken tip. Had rod taken to shop in Vancouver Wa and within days was fishing with a new tip section.

See it at http://www.echoflyfishing.com/html/rod_category_details.php?category_id=2&page_id=14&product_type=1

8. Flyfishing Dad

Flyfishing Dad displaced Alaskan

I always check the bargain center at the local Cabela's. Have often found the rusty brown rod tubes in the bargain barrel there. Have picked up three 4-wght rods, and one 2-wght. Each had a minor flaw in them that needed repairs, not much more than another $35-30 to have repaired by a reputable shop (Cabela's said they wouldn't offer the repair themselves for some reason), or even less to do for myself. The rod and tube usually costs me about $25, so all told I get a Cabela's light weight two or three piece rod for below $100. Worth keeping an eye on.

9. Dipnet

Dipnet The wanted posters say Tim Hartman

I have a 4wt 8-ft. 4-piece CT coming in the mail right now. About $80 including shipping. Can't beat a deal like that!

10. David Bershtein

David Bershtein Member

Home Page:
    I went the e*ay route to get my young daughter a 4 wt. I found a custom, i.e. home made rod made with a Loomis blank in a nice tube for about $100. I got a rod maker friend to put Happy Birthday from Daddy on it. It is her favorite rod and she won't share it!

Kyle Smith likes this.
  11. lylelovett666

lylelovett666 Active Member

I suggest you check out what Ross has to offer.

12. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

The cheapest rod you can get it the free one. I got one from a buddy on this web site. I fish the hell out of it in the summer time. It is a 7'6" blank unknown. But it works and my other is a 7'9" finesse rod. Both are 3wt's.

13. David Bershtein

David Bershtein Member

Home Page:
    Someone on another site gave me a free reel for my daughter. Kids break and lose equipment so it is great when people help out. She would like to try a 3 wt if there is someone out there who has an old, pounded rod and/or reel. She is becoming much more careful and dedicated, now age 14.

14. John Wallace

John Wallace Active Member

Cabela's fiberglass rods are great!

15. David Bershtein

David Bershtein Member

Home Page:
    Do they still make fiberglass rods? I had a Wright & McGill fiberglass fly rod as a kid in the 50's & 60's. I don't remember what they feel like to cast. Are they slow action?