Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Looking for a 9' 4pc 5wt under $150

Wanted 
1K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  Richard E 
#1 ·
Hey guys I'm new to fly fishing. Right now I've got an 8' 4wt Redington CT that I've been fishing for trout, and it's a nice rod, but I need something that can throw a wooly bugger or something weighted. I am looking for another packable rod in a 5wt.

Rods I know I like:
TFO professional
Sage Approach or equivalent (can't remember the model)

So I guess I'm looking for another trout rod that's a little faster action and 9' so I can get it out there a little further. I'm located in Tukwila and I'm pretty flexible about meeting people.

Thanks!

#8 ·
So the 8' 4wt for dries and nymphs and a 9' 6wt for streamers/buggers? Right now I'm using it for the Snoqualmie forks and some high lakes trout. I haven't hooked in to anything bigger than 8" up there so far, but I'm hoping to cast a bit further and fish a little deeper.

Won't a 5wt toss a streamer OK? Forgive my new guy questions...

#9 ·
LD's point is pretty good. Until you get to the point that you have many rods and rods of most line weights, lots of people spread out their line wts to get the most uses covered with the fewest rods. For example, maybe you get a 3, 5, and an 8 wt. Or maybe a 4, 6, and an 8wt. Or maybe just a 5 and an 8 wt.

Having a 4 and 6 will allow you to cover more fishing situations than a 4 and a 5 wt.

#12 · (Edited)
I'm with troutpocket on the 8" fish thing . . . .you'd have more fun fishing for those with a 0-2wt. If you plan to fish streamers in a high country lake you'd be well advised to do it from a float tube and not from shore - but I still doubt you'd ever need a 6wt. for that application. River fishing is of course a different story, but if you're fishing for trout in WA 90% of the time you'd still never need a 6wt.

#13 ·
Hey guys I'm new to fly fishing. Right now I've got an 8' 4wt Redington CT that I've been fishing for trout, and it's a nice rod, but I need something that can throw a wooly bugger or something weighted. I am looking for another packable rod in a 5wt.

Rods I know I like:
TFO professional
Sage Approach or equivalent (can't remember the model)

So I guess I'm looking for another trout rod that's a little faster action and 9' so I can get it out there a little further. I'm located in Tukwila and I'm pretty flexible about meeting people.

Thanks!
How packable? I have a Redington 5 wt, 6 pc, 9' rod, new in the tube (bought it when it looked like I would do a lot of travelling for work, which didn't happen). It's well within your budget.

#14 ·
Well I've got an older Abu Garcia 6-7wt but it's an 8'6" (missing the last 2" from a repair job, technically an 8'4") but it always felt too heavy for trout fishing. Should I just sell the 8' 4wt CT that I've got and get something longer? I love the idea of having a bunch of rods, but I'm also not made of money, so I'd like to make sure I'm getting the right thing for the job.

#15 ·
A 4wt can lob small streamers. I had a major eye opening evening about 3-4 years ago and have been a big streamer fan since. I fish some large and/or weighted streamers and I am just lobbing them with a a 6wt especially with a sink tip. to me there just is not that much difference between a 4 and 5 wt if they are your only rods. For me a 6 wt is the most versatile trout rod there is. You can fish nymphs, dries. streamers, trout, bass, pinks and even smaller summer run steelhead. If you could find someone that has a 6wt you could cast might be a good idea. There are some 5wt's that are more like a 5.5 or lite 6wt.

#16 ·
Right now what I've got tied up are sz 14 and 16 dries (Elk hair caddis, adams, etc) and a variety of wooly buggers buggers from sz 8-12. Right now I'm targeting the upper Snoqualmie and eventually I'd like to try the Yakima, and try for some SRC action on the sound. I'm wondering if I'd be better off just getting a longer 4wt for the river/stream stuff and then getting a 6wt for the SRC/streamers. Does this sound more reasonable than trying to do everything with a 5wt?

#17 ·
If you are expecting to fish a wide variety of types of water and also types of fish (which you are), then a wider range of rods would be a good way to go. If you are comfortable with your 4#, then as others have suggested a 6# would be the next logical step. The 6# is great for larger and heavier flies, better in the wind, easier on larger fish, yet can be easily used for dries, nymphs and double setups by adjusting the line you are using. JMHO.

#18 · (Edited)
Trout Snatcher, an 8' 4 wt sounds like a decent rod for where you are fishing and what you are trying to do, including throwing streamers in mountain lakes and small rivers like the Snoqualmie - or even the Yak. Actually, for 8" fish, I agree that it's on the heavy side for many peoples' tastes. Once upon a time, one of my favorite rods was a 7.5' 3/4 wt that I fished lots of places, including the Yak. I could bomb casts clear across the Yak with that rod so I suspect it it not the rod that is currently limiting you.

My suggestion is that before you spend money on another rod, take your CT down to a shop and take some casting lessons with that rod. Learn how to make it do what you want and fish it all season, on small and large waters. By the end of the year, if you get out enough on lots of different waters, you'll be better able to decide if you need a new rod and know what it is you want a new rod to do that you can't do with your CT.

Oh and also ask the shop to allow you try try different lines on the rod. You may be pleasantly surprised at how the right line will change a rod.

#19 ·
I had a 5 wt that I tried to throw bigger flies with for warm water and salt water species. The loops were terrible and hingey. Not that I am the greatest caster but heavy flies did not do well at distance. I agree with earlier post and go with 6wt that way you will get a a wider array.

I have 3, 5, 7 and 9wts. I had to get the 7 bc of heavy flies that were too big for 5wt.

#20 ·
This has been very insightful! Thanks for the many replies. It looks like I'm gonna take Freestone's advice and practice with my 4wt and get more casts under my belt before I drop any more cash on gear. I'm also thinking that I might go with a 6wt based on several recommendations. I'm new to this forum and I appreciate all the quick, helpful and logical responses!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.