Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Looking for a BIIX similar rod

Rod Building 
971 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  generic 
#1 ·
I recently got some great info on this question, but I thought I'd throw it at you gentlemen. Hey, that's what a forum like this is for right? Well, that and wolves.

Anyway, I'm wondering if any of you guys would know what the closest rod out there (Winston or not) that is best/closest to the action of the BIIX. And no, it's not the IIIX.

I was told by another member, that he thought the Winston GVX had a similar taper as the IIX, but not with the Boron material. I don't even know (even after all my searches) what the ERN, CCS, and AA ratings are for my IIX's. Maybe if someone knew that info, they could pass it on.

However, in the meantime, if anyone has any "enlightenment" they don't my sharing, I'd be grateful!

Thanks

#2 ·
To my understanding the GVX is the same taper, BUT they're vastly different. I have a 590 BiiX and a 490 GVX. The Biix definitely feels a bit more powerful in the butt, yet the tip likes to chatter. GVX is slightly less powerful in the butt, but NO tip chatter. If you're gung-ho on building similar rod and can't find a Biix blank, I highly recommend the GVX! Good luck!

#3 ·
To my understanding the GVX is the same taper, BUT they're vastly different. I have a 590 BiiX and a 490 GVX. The Biix definitely feels a bit more powerful in the butt, yet the tip likes to chatter. GVX is slightly less powerful in the butt, but NO tip chatter. If you're gung-ho on building similar rod and can't find a Biix blank, I highly recommend the GVX! Good luck!
I like how the iix can handle a large fish (even my 4wt), but can play a 10" fish with my 8wt (iix), and it feels like I'm fishing my 4wt. <- Did that make sense?

Anyway, would it be safe to say that the GVX might not be the best rod for targeting fish in the upper teens and in the lower twenties, since the butt section isn't as powerful? Or is it just a simple matter of preference when it comes to that part of the action?

I'd probably be chuck'n streamers with it. I just don't like "fast" rods, as I typically don't need to throw 60'+ for the fish I target, and when I catch smaller fish, I want to enjoy the fight.

#4 ·
Try to hit up a store and do a wiggle test or cast a GVX select (same blank), I think you may b e impressed. I think it will handle streamers better than a comparable biix due to I find it more forgiving and harder to shock. I love both rods but like I said, you may Suprise yourself with the GVX!

#5 ·
Thanks Scotty.

I actually just called the shop that I bought my iix rods (4 and 8) from, and he kinda echoed what you were saying. He actually thinks they don't charge enough for the GVX, (tongue and check reply), but he loves the iix, but said the GVX is a really close second for the type of action I like/am looking for.

#7 ·
Gvx is a great stick. The 490, 586, and 590 are all fantastic. I've fished both the 480 and 690 for a week and they are great as well. I have the b3x 480 and 690 so i passed on the duplicates. They are great in close and will cast within 10 feet of its b3x brother for distance. You've got to cast it to compare. The gvx has a thinner and more active tip than b3 which makes you think it loads easier in close but the b3 wakes up when its actually cast, not shaken. EBay has a bunch of gvx blanks for 150 right now

#8 ·
What's weird (I think), is that my 4wt biix throws a type V 5wt line like a dream... Never thought that overloading a 4wt would make that much of a difference, especially a full sinking line!

Thanks for the info though!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.