Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Looking for a new trailer...

Boats 
906 views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Mumbles 
#1 ·
I know this has been discussed before, but after about 10 minutes with the search function I can't find the contacts I am looking for.

I have a 10' Koffler WW Pram that is about 25+ years old. I love the boat, but the 800lb trailer (literally, no joke, 800lbs) is in need of replacement. I have emailed Koffler but haven't heard back from them yet. The boat is apx 250lbs I believe.

If you were going to get a new trailer, preferable as light weight as possible, how would you go about doing this? Craigslist in the Spoke area doesn't have much, and I do want newer and light.

Any advice?

Thanks,
Mike

#2 ·
Mike, I have a light duty trailer that has a 5' long x 4' wide box built on it. The trailer was designed to haul motor cycles and the sides can be removed. I have not used this trailer in a year. I know we are not next door to each other, but if you want it, I'm sure we can come up on a very sweet price. This trailer uses a smaller hitch ball, has two tires and a spare and last I checked the lights were working fine. Ed

#4 ·
BDD,
I know a couple of trailer places in Spokane, but none are boat specific (ie. roller bar in back).
Who did you go through, and what did you have them put on it that was "custom".
Since we have similar boats, do you mind shooting me a pic. If so, I will give you my email off-line.
Mike

#5 ·
Yeah, no problem. I can send a pic tomorrow or I can just load it here. When I say custom, I had them design the trailer per my pram's specs. After that, I hired a friend put on roller bearing (with grease fittings) roll bar. Way overkill but it works great. The actual builder is the brother of a good friend (yeah, I have two) of mine and actually worked for a trailer company in Ferndale or Bellingham...can't remember which.

#9 ·
Contact Dave Fry at Fry's Welding in Auburn. Tell him what you want, have him design it, and never look back. You'll have a trailer that will last you the rest of your life.

Dave build a "convertible" trailer for me that will haul drift boat or raft. My instruction to him was to grossly overbuild it so I am not stuck 40 miles from pavement on some dirt track. He delivered.

#11 ·
Just reread my original post, and I didn't mean to make it sound like Koffler was unresponsive. Joe has replied numerous times at this point, and has been nothing but incredibly helpful. I made my original post on the same day I sent Koffler an email, so he respond within 24 hours. I just didn't want anyone to think I was being critical of them on-line. That wasn't my intention.

Ed, there is absolutely no rush as I am probably not doing anything for a couple months, but I am still interested in seeing what you have when you get a chance.

Thanks to everyone who has responded. I already have some good ideas.

Thanks again.
Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.