Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Looking for feedback

Tags
for
2K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  skitterbug 
#1 ·
Looking for a fast action 8wt rod for rivers(slow water) and beaches to target Salmon. Looking at medium priced rods. With my research and wiggle test in the shop, I'm looking for feedback on the GLoomis Pro4x, Sage Pulse, maybe the Scott Flex or Tidal and the TFO BVK. Performance wise the BVK gets great reviews, but read about breakage problems, anyone personally experience this? This week I plan on test casting these rods, unfortunately the shop doesn't have a BVK. Appreciate any feedback on these rods.
Thanks.

#4 · (Edited)
Any particular rod length you'd like and salmon species you intend to target?

I've heard of some breakage issues with the Tidal as well.
99% of the salt coho south of you (Puget Sound) can easily be handled by most 6 wts.
The 8 wt gets use when chums show up. If you aren't set on new, something like used 896-4 XP, Z-Axis or similar would serve you well.
Since you are considering TFO, it might be worth looking at offerings some Echo and Redington as well.
SF

#10 ·
I think I'll go with the 9 footer, since I'm not going to need it for line control. I have a 11' switch for those situations. I already have a reel and lines for the 8wt. If I went with a 6wt I'd have to get a reel and line. So for that reason alone I'm sticking to an 8wt.

#5 ·
I picked up a Redington 8 wt Super Sport from Patrick's Fly shop a few years back. Price was great and when paired up w/ Rio Outbound Line, you can get really good distance on the beach. FYI, I loaned it to my friend for a Bahamas trip and it performed well for the Bones down there as well :). I have yet to catch any exotic species w/ it, but I really like it on the local beaches. Hope to target silvers again this year w/ this rod if we get a chance locally.

#6 ·
I've done a lot with the 8 wt BVK, but it's the only rod on your list I have experience with. Salmon from the beach, nymphed steelhead, dredged for lingcod and rock fish, and everything in between. I can't remember breaking it, maybe it was the 6 wt I broke... either way it was $25 and pretty quick turn around from TFO

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

#14 · (Edited)
The 8wt BVK gets pretty good reviews everywhere I've seen. I have a 5wt that's probably closer to a 6wt and it's never broken on me. I think the breakage issues reported are a little overdone. It is a light blank though so if it takes a clouser to the tip that might be enough to weaken it and make it break while casting. I've had my Sage Salt 890 in for repair twice in two years - I still like the rod. If you want tough consider Echo or Redington. I'd take a look at the Echo 3 and Redington Predator.

Brian is right that a 6wt can handle coho from the beach, but I usually switch over to an 8wt when the ocean fish start showing up. I can cast farther for longer in more wind with the 8wt than I can with a 6wt. The 8wt also handles the big stinger clousers better. Personal preference but I don't think you're over-gunned with an 8wt.

#15 ·
After some more research, I think I'll drop the Scott rods, sound like great rods but suffer with distance. Someone recommended the Sage motive as another option. So I'll decide between the Sage Pulse, Motive, GLoomis Pro4x and TFO BVK.

I had thoughts of a 6wt, but 8wt will cover everything without being under-gunned, perhaps a 6wt will be in the cards for next year!

#20 ·
So I casted the Sage Motive and Pulse, Scott Flex and Tidal, and the GLoomis Pro4x. Cosmetically the Scott were the nicest, followed by Sage and both slightly lighter than the Pro4x. I went with the Pro4x, it casted the best and it had the most feel. I could blast all the line out with less effort compared to the other rods. Loop control and tracking was way better, especially at 80-90'.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.