Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Looking for the best Steelhead guide I can find

4K views 47 replies 23 participants last post by  RogueBum 
#1 ·
I got a free pass from the wife to go get my first steelhead with a guide. I fished the south sound rivers all summer last year and never got one. I was 0-2 on the season. I am ready to get my boots wet again. I need some good recommendations on a guide. I am not concerned with where I have to go, I am willing to go anywhere in Washington for this. I just want to link up with the guide that gives me the best chance to hook up on a metal head. Can you guys give me some info on guides I should reach out to?

Also, would like to split the cost of the boat for the day with someone. Anyone interested?

Thanks,

LG

#3 ·
Asking for the "best" guide is like asking for the best car.

Do you want to swing, pull plugs, back bounce, toss beads? Would you rather go to the OP or a Columbia trib? Do you want a "trouty" red stripped steelhead or a chrome bright fresh fish? Are you concerned about bonking a fish for the BBQ or hoping for a large wild unicorn?

All these things matter and will help make your decision easier.

#5 ·
Thanks Luke! I would prefer to swing with a switch rod but would love to learn more techniques to chase them with as well. Swinging a dry fly would be the ultimate catch for me but I really just want to feel the catch on a fly rod. I'll take it any way I can get chrome or not.
I hooked on to two last summer in the Green River but lost them both. It was an amazing (and addicting) experience.

#18 ·
If your only concern is getting a hook up go to the Klickitat or Cowlitz with reds or something. You'll anchor up over fish and drift beads over and over until you get a fish. Downside is you learn nothing besides where to anchor up on that river.... But again your chances of a fish are sky high.

If you're concerned with learning how to steelhead on the swing, how to vastly improve presentation, how to read water like a boss (not just "oh look 4ft deep walking speed water I better fish it!), then go with Joe Ewing at Pacific fly fishers. You'll learn more in that one day than 25 years on the water trying to figure it out on your own...or 25 lifetimes on this forum.

Edit for the asshole who pmd me: I'm not bashing reds at all, the dude said what he wants is "my best chances at a metalhead". I gave reds a compliment

#20 ·
If your only concern is getting a hook up go to the Klickitat or Cowlitz with reds or something. You'll anchor up over fish and drift beads over and over until you get a fish. Downside is you learn nothing besides where to anchor up on that river.... But again your chances of a fish are sky high.

If you're concerned with learning how to steelhead on the swing, how to vastly improve presentation, how to read water like a boss (not just "oh look 4ft deep walking speed water I better fish it!), then go with Joe Ewing at Pacific fly fishers. You'll learn more in that one day than 25 years on the water trying to figure it out on your own...or 25 lifetimes on this forum.

Edit for the asshole who pmd me: I'm not bashing reds at all, the dude said what he wants is "my best chances at a metalhead". I gave reds a compliment
....Says the guy tying up yarnies last night. Nymphing takes a lot of water reading skill and technical line skill.

#24 ·
Never fished in that area to know any better, so I'll take your word for it. I just know that as someone who went on a Cowlitz guided trip a few years back, I had a blast and loved the different runs I was put in. However, really disappointed the times I've gone back and was limited by what I could access on foot. I've since given up on the Cowlitz and fish elsewhere. At least until my wife approves a boat. :eek:

#26 ·
True, but a lot of the prime OP river runs are only accessible from a boat too. Sure you can bank wade the Hoh, but your options on a river like the Sol Duc are really small
I do have a 16' Lavro drift so boat required is attractive to me.... I wade a lot but that is due to unfamiliarity with WA rivers. I am fairly new to the area.

#27 ·
While sharing the cost is great. Keep in mind, you'll also be sharing the river (prime run position) and your guide time with another person. Maybe I'm complete off my rocker, but this would be something I'd put a lot of thought into. Edit: Perhaps it won't matter so much if you go with someone more experienced and not needing as much guide instruction.
Great point!!! I think going alone might be best for me!

#34 ·
Quite the can of worms you opened here.

Mike Sturza of Lost Creek Flies on the Cowlitz (Google it) and Jim Kerr (Raincoast Guides) on the Peninsula both know their waters well and can put you on fish during the summer. The advantage of the Cowlitz would be its relative simplicity to row compared to some of the Peninsula rivers, which means you could go out and apply what you learn from Mike on your own. Either way you can't really go wrong...

#36 ·
I think you will be very happy with whoever you do go with. The beauty of a guided day on the water, is that it usually is about so much more than just fishing. A reputable guide will not only put you on prime water, but will make the day a fun one. They will have intimate knowledge not only of the river shed you are on, but what water will best suit your style and ability. Do your research, and above all, have fun when you get out there.

#37 ·
Thanks for all the recommendations guys I really appreciate it! a lot!
It is a hard choice, I love it here in the summer but it is very different than the Cowlitz.
I do not know Mike but a lot of my regular clients have fished with him and say he is great. A couple of years ago we were looking at maybe moving south for my wife's work and I looked long and hard at the cowlitz. I haven't fished it much in the last 15 years or so but I do often think of it in the summer, plenty of water and good numbers of fish.
I am sure you will have fun where ever you end up.
Jim Kerr

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.