Looking for the best Steelhead guide I can find

golfman44

5-Time Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year
If your only concern is getting a hook up go to the Klickitat or Cowlitz with reds or something. You'll anchor up over fish and drift beads over and over until you get a fish. Downside is you learn nothing besides where to anchor up on that river.... But again your chances of a fish are sky high.

If you're concerned with learning how to steelhead on the swing, how to vastly improve presentation, how to read water like a boss (not just "oh look 4ft deep walking speed water I better fish it!), then go with Joe Ewing at Pacific fly fishers. You'll learn more in that one day than 25 years on the water trying to figure it out on your own...or 25 lifetimes on this forum.

Edit for the asshole who pmd me: I'm not bashing reds at all, the dude said what he wants is "my best chances at a metalhead". I gave reds a compliment

Luke77

I hope she likes whitefish
If you're wanting to hit the Cowlitz, you also might want to hit up our very own John Hicks of Sea Run Pursuits...he's definitely a great option to swing up a steelie!

If you want to swing the Klickitat, give them a call at Red's and they will get you set up.

CLO

Future WFF Mod
If your only concern is getting a hook up go to the Klickitat or Cowlitz with reds or something. You'll anchor up over fish and drift beads over and over until you get a fish. Downside is you learn nothing besides where to anchor up on that river.... But again your chances of a fish are sky high.

If you're concerned with learning how to steelhead on the swing, how to vastly improve presentation, how to read water like a boss (not just "oh look 4ft deep walking speed water I better fish it!), then go with Joe Ewing at Pacific fly fishers. You'll learn more in that one day than 25 years on the water trying to figure it out on your own...or 25 lifetimes on this forum.

Edit for the asshole who pmd me: I'm not bashing reds at all, the dude said what he wants is "my best chances at a metalhead". I gave reds a compliment

....Says the guy tying up yarnies last night. Nymphing takes a lot of water reading skill and technical line skill.

I second Rob's recommendation. The Cowlitz has about the strongest hatchery return on the west side. It is close to you if you wish to fish it by yourself in the future. And Mike knows the Cowlitz really well. He's a very positive guy; you'll enjoy your time: win, lose, or draw.
Steve
I agree that the Cowlitz has a strong hatchery run. However, the OP also mentioned he prefers a river he can fish on his own afterwards. Unless Ganderwitz has a boat, the Cowlitz is limited, imo.

Fishing Rates for 2014
Standard (May 1-Jan 31)
1 angler $325.00
2 Anglers $450.00

Who want to go?
While sharing the cost is great. Keep in mind, you'll also be sharing the river (prime run position) and your guide time with another person. Maybe I'm complete off my rocker, but this would be something I'd put a lot of thought into. Edit: Perhaps it won't matter so much if you go with someone more experienced and not needing as much guide instruction.

True, but a lot of the prime OP river runs are only accessible from a boat too. Sure you can bank wade the Hoh, but your options on a river like the Sol Duc are really small

True, but a lot of the prime OP river runs are only accessible from a boat too. Sure you can bank wade the Hoh, but your options on a river like the Sol Duc are really small
Never fished in that area to know any better, so I'll take your word for it. I just know that as someone who went on a Cowlitz guided trip a few years back, I had a blast and loved the different runs I was put in. However, really disappointed the times I've gone back and was limited by what I could access on foot. I've since given up on the Cowlitz and fish elsewhere. At least until my wife approves a boat. :eek:

golfman44

5-Time Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year
....Says the guy tying up yarnies last night. Nymphing takes a lot of water reading skill and technical line skill.
Man I was struggling. Yarnies are hard to tie. Getting those fuckers round is tough.

I was referring to the guiding methods more so than the fishing methods since it sounds like all the guy wanted was to hook a fish, in which case I'd go that route. I'd definitely agree that nymphing well is harder than swinging well.

I do have a 16' Lavro drift so boat required is attractive to me.... I wade a lot but that is due to unfamiliarity with WA rivers. I am fairly new to the area.

While sharing the cost is great. Keep in mind, you'll also be sharing the river (prime run position) and your guide time with another person. Maybe I'm complete off my rocker, but this would be something I'd put a lot of thought into. Edit: Perhaps it won't matter so much if you go with someone more experienced and not needing as much guide instruction.
Great point!!! I think going alone might be best for me!

I do have a 16' Lavro drift so boat required is attractive to me.... I wade a lot but that is due to unfamiliarity with WA rivers. I am fairly new to the area.
Oh, you have a boat.. Well then that changes everything. Do the Cowlitz then. While you are with him, ask the guide the best drift to take for someone unfamiliar with the river. Then that first drift down without the guide, take someone that has been on the river a few times. Then next time you can do it alone if you want.