Looking to upgrade my vise and tools

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Thomas Williams, Nov 19, 2013.

1. Darryl Pahl

Darryl Pahl Active Member

For scissors and tools, check out sierratradingpost.com. They usually have great deals on Dr. Slick tools. I just keep an eye on the web site - stuff comes and goes, but when it is there, $15 high quality name-brand scissors can be had for $5 bucks once all of the discounts have been applied.

Renzetti vices and Rite bobbins get my vote as well.

2. Michael v.d.Bogert

Michael v.d.Bogert Active Member

I used for many years the DanVise and was very pleased with it altough I knew there were many better ones.
    This year, after many months reading reviews about all vises i could find, I finally decided to order the Jvice from South Africa.
    BUT making a choice for something is ALWAYS a personal matter.
    Budget, what kind of flies, Fresh water or salt, grade of interest in fly tying, traditional or modern styling preferred...and many other aspects you have to consider by making the right choice.
    Maybe not the answer you suspected but something you realy need thinking about before you make any purchase..:(

Hope you will find the right tools you actualy need. I'm very interested in the choice you will make or already have made.

Robbert

3. lando

lando Active Member

You can't go wrong with a Peak vise. If you get one, spend the $10 for the D-arm accessory...it makes the rotary function much better.

I only gave up my Peak for a Dyna King Barracuda and wish I'd kept the Peak as a second vise.

4. Justin Waters

Justin Waters Member

I like the Tungsten Carbide all use Dr. Slick scissors for most of my stuff, then any cheep scissor works for cutting wire and stuff. I keep the scissors in my hand (even when using more specialty scissors) so I have never really have the issue of picking them up off the desk (not really a big issue??). For the bobbins any good fly shop should have a selection to put in your hand, find the ones that actually fit your hand, I think that is more where people find the ONE that is right for them.

A few years back I tried like 5 different brands of bobbins and truthfully went with the Dr. Slick ceramic because it felt the best in my hand. I totally see why the Rite Bobbins have their following though, super awesome idea, I just think I am stuck in my ways with the Dr. Slicks. Any good fly shop should have a selection to put in your hand, find the ones that actually fit your hand, I think that is more where people find the ONE that is right for them.

Renzetti gets my vote, for the sheer fact that they fit everyone, have such good service, and are so easy to tie with.

5. porterHause

porterHause Just call me Jon

http://flytyingtools.com/

I really dig their tools.

So far my Dr slick tungsten carbide scissors have held up well, but I find myself sharpening my Dr slick razors often. That said, the 5 inch model works well for large cuts, like rabbit strip dubbing loops. I dig my rite bobbin, but still always find myself going to my Wasatch standard for most applications. Agree with the others, go with what feels best.

If you want quality, long lasting steel on your scissors, don't go cheap.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

6. porterHause

...And I love my Renzetti Presentation 2000.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

7. Old406Kid

Old406Kid Active Member

We know... just trying to catch up to OMJ!;)

8. Rick Sharp

Rick Sharp Member

I purchased the renzetti tube vise recently and not really to impressed with it, don't know about other renzetti models though. Just my opinion

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk 4

9. Dipnet

Dipnet The wanted posters say Tim Hartman

Hey porterHause, I clicked on the link that you provided to the Wasatch Custom Angling site and on their homepage they had an LED tying light advertised under "New Arrivals" for regularly $39.95 but on sale for $29.95.

It looks suspiciously similar to this $10 Ikea light that PatrickH had posted about in this thread: http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/forum/index.php?threads/led-desk-lamp-for-fly-tying.94823/

Not sayin' they're the same but who knows?

Sorry, not trying to hijack this thread. I just thought it interesting that I'd read the post by Patrick and immediately after read this one and looked at your link and saw that light.

10. porterHause

They look pretty similar to me lol. Focus on the tying tools, not the stuff they're reselling. :)

11. Jim Darden

Jim Darden Active Member

I had the same dilemma, I tied on a Thompson model A for about 40 years.....then I went to a Renzetti Traveler and have been happy with it, though I still tie on the model A on occasion. Tried the Norevise bobbin for a year but could never warm up to it, use the ceramic bobbins now and am happy...always thought the Dr. Slick scissors were great but maybe I'm not demanding enough....hope that helps

12. Michael v.d.Bogert

Michael v.d.Bogert Active Member

13. Jack Devlin

Jack Devlin Active Member

triple post

14. Jack Devlin

triple post?

15. Jack Devlin

Michael v.d.Bogert likes this.