loomis trilogy spey rods?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by bankwalker, Dec 17, 2007.

1. Kevin Giusti

Kevin Giusti New Member

Yes ten feet CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE!!! If you find a sweet spot where the rod casts good for you, STICK WITH IT!!! The marks showing where the belly taper ends is just that A MARK!!! You dont need to have the mark outside the tip to make a good cast!!! As you progress and learn you will find you will be able to get that mark further toward the tip and even possibly outside the tip. So Ten feet does make a difference , hell even two or three feet can make a difference!!! With a scandi or skagit style line even SIX INCHES difference of overhang can make a WORLD OF DIFFERENCE@! So you learned something today, good for you. Find a comfortable length of line where you make a good cast and stick with that length. Kevin

2. bankwalker

bankwalker Member

oh see i have been trying to cast this line with the black section about mid way in/out of the rod. which was recomended to me.

i will have to put a mark in my line so i know where i should have my line.

good ish...

3. _WW_

_WW_ Geriatric Skagit Swinger

You mentioned making a video. Do it and then your cast can be properly analyzed by the rest of us. A picture is worth a thousand words so a video should bring on an entire book.

4. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Bankwalker,

I'm not like you, but I have had a similar experience. I was never above average at any sport or hand and eye coordination activity. However, when I learned to fly cast, it was like I had been born to be a fly fisherman. It came easy; it all made sense. Within a couple months of learning to fly cast, I was able to teach others to fly cast. What my point?

Well, when I got my first, and then my second, two handed rods, it simply never occurred to me that I might need or benefit from some specialized instruction. After all, I'd been fly casting for decades, and people have always said I cast with style and grace and make it look effortless, which it practically is. Not so with the Spey rod. I've always been able to cast as far with single hand rods as with Spey rods. I putzed around with two handed rods for years and years before I finally decided that if I'm ever to enjoy this aspect of the sport, I ought to get some serious instruction.

Well, it wasn't an overnight success, but close to it. Spey casting isn't anywhere as intuitive as single hand casting, yet exactly the same concepts and principles apply to it. By being mindful of the instruction I've had, and watching and listening to a couple Spey casting videos, my technique has improved 1000%. Yours could too. Just because other things came easy doesn't mean everything else will too.

Sg

5. bankwalker

bankwalker Member

yup its happens to the greatest.

i missed the tolt spey class. it was to cold and windy so i didnt stop by. im gonna wait for thr 15th of january and check out creekside's class again sence ill be up there for the rest of the creek opening on tokul.

6. bankwalker

bankwalker Member

i tried, my camera phone takes 30miutes videos. but you couldnt see shiat...

though it looked funny. lol

7. Porter

Porter Active Member

Please ignore what I have said ....Didn't realize you were a memeber of the greatest...right? :confused: Really can't believe this thread has continued this long and the way it has.

You can cast great :thumb:

When is the last time you caught a fish? Did you catch it with 110 feet of fly line out there? :confused: :clown:

8. bankwalker

bankwalker Member

no one ever said i was the the greatest or even one of the greatest...you smartass.

keep it to yourself.

9. Porter

Porter Active Member

I can't I so full of it I need to spread it..... and you seemed liked two pieces of open Rye :

10. Porter

Porter Active Member

I'm so full of it and I easily spread on open Rye or Lye :confused: :clown:

Get over yourself ;) As she and all her cousins said your no two hander ...stick with the small grip cork :D :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I'm outta this thread :beer1: :beer1: :beer1:

11. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Dead on Bro!

I'm a reasonably good caster on several rods, but there are lines, and then there are lines (on a given rod). Half my lines have a 'magic marker' bar to tell me where place same to make a given rod 'work' properly. The longer the 'head,' the more important this has become.

Now the 'good news.' BW, you really do need to take a proper lesson as what's happening is stuff you 'can't see' as you're involved with the cast(ing). Somewhere there's a built in 'basic flaw' in what you're doing. Frequently this takes a second set of 'eyes' to spot same; that's what the 'good caster' standing back and watching brings to your table.

Fred

12. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Decided to go back and review this thread from top to bottom, as in 'what did I miss here.' A minor "Bingo!?"

As the Brit's would say there are 'horses for courses' effective translation is not all horses run well on a give track. There are no bad rods, there are no bad lines (well, that's debatable:hmmm:) BUT there are really BAD combinations ..... especially for someone learning how to spey cast. What I think may be the real problem here is the Loomis blanks are Euro Action and as such are going to be quite stiff. And at 13' foot pretty darned short for a 2-hander.

As someone whose taught many folks spey casting I'd never-ever hand them a Euro action to learn on. All 'mistakes/bad timing/etc., will just be magnified.:beathead: Secondly, you say the rod is a 13 footer which would require a very short weight forward line such as a Skagit or Scandi set up to properly load that short a stick. Even the Windcutter would have too long a head (grains over head length) unless you were already a reasonable caster.

Hit the Speypages web board and check what line(s) folks would recommend with this 'stick.' Also hit the RIO web site and see what's recommended in Skagit/Scandi heads. (Think Airflo also has a comparable web site.)

Please report back with your thoughts on the above.

Fred

13. fisshman26

fisshman26 Active Member

This has to be one of the funnist threads that I have seen for some time. That being said the Trilogy is far from a euro action.

14. Red Shed

Red Shed "junkyard spey"

Home Page:

First off BW you sound like a troll. If you are not trolling to entertain us all then I will make a few observations.

The first thing you should do is read Rio's line chart http://www.rioproducts.com/photos/file/Old Spey line recs.pdf and see what Simon recommends for your rod and a "B" caster. It really don't matter how great you are with a single hander, in the spey world you are a "B" caster. Fly Tyer's recommendation for the WC 8/9/10 is right on.

It seems you have a preocupation with distance. FORGET THE DISTANCE, at least for now. There are more things to using a spey rod then to be able to cast a long ways. One of the advantages of a two hander is to take some of the stress off your body, ie, that cracked wrist you mentioned.

For starters with the WC keep the color change at your hand when making your cast. With any advancment at all for some line shoot at the completion of the cast the color change will be at the rod tip. With your 13' rod/floating line, a 13' leader, and the color change at the rod tip your fly will be about 75' to 80' from where you are standing. This can be done with much less effort then with your single hander.

While you are learning to spey cast with the WC keep your fly size in the 2, 4, or 6 size and stay away from bunnies and other water sucking type flies.

It would seem you are in a big hurry. In my opinion your expetations are pretty short sighted.

If you force the cast you will kill it. Hold the rod lightly and stay off the gas.

It would help you a great deal if you'd stop comparing your two handed experience to your one handed experience. Concentrate on winding up with the color change near the rod tip.

I would learn the Double Spey and Circle C casts first as that let's you fish both sides of the river in either wind direction. Some casting lessons from a competent spey caster would shorten the learning process but spey certainly can be learned on one's own time.

Find a shop that speaks "spey". They will offer you mucho info on your casting and getting set up right.

15. bankwalker

bankwalker Member

lmfao thats funny right there.