Loss of a Family Member

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Bill Aubrey, Jun 25, 2013.

1. Greg Price

Greg Price Love da little fishies

Jim, I remembered your post more than any others when i lost my Saam dog. I too left the dog snot on the rear windows of the family mini van.
    Thank you - It is comforting to know there are fellow fly fishermen who are attached to their 4 legged fishing partners.

Bill Aubrey and Kent Lufkin like this.
  2. Greg Price

Greg Price Love da little fishies

Kerry,

Unbenknown to me, my wife dug up the earn with our dogs ashes when we moved from west seattle to puyallup 3 years ago. He is safely buried in our new backyard.

Here is to hoping for healing for you and hopefully another border collier for your family to enjoy.

Bill Aubrey likes this.
  3. formerguide

formerguide Active Member

Condolences from me as well sir. I hope hour grief is relieved as best as possible.

Dan

Bill Aubrey likes this.
  4. Dipnet

Dipnet The wanted posters say Tim Hartman

Bill, prayers go out to you for the loss of Porter (BTW, Black Butte Porter is a favorite beer!).

As others have said, I know exactly how you feel.

Those furry buddies give out love unceasingly and without any judgement. They're always there for you, even if you had just screamed at them for chewing the couch or barfing on the carpet! :)

I lost my Siberian Husky, Nanda (full AKC name: Nanda Devi von Hochschnee) about 8 years ago. I've been hesitant to get another dog 'cuz she was such a friend and companion (I was single at the time).

I got her at about 6 weeks and endured the chewing on doors, tearing up the laundry room vinyl floor and eating the flowers in the yard!

Fortunately she matured into a well-behaved adult dog. She developed diabetes about the age of 7 and lost her eyesight so I had to give her insulin shots and I became her "seeing-eye man"! Against all odds, I kept her until the age of 13.

So, as I said: prayers and condolences!

Have you ever read "Rainbow Bridge"? Every time I read it I feel tearful but inspired at the same time! Link here: http://www.petloss.com/rainbowbridge.htm

Best,

Tim

5. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

As many have mentioned, one of the great injustices in life is that our dog friends have such short lifespans compared with ours. Why should animals like tortoises, parrots and elephants live as long or longer than we, while those beloved dogs with whom we share the most intimate experiences of our daily lives be lucky to live just a decade and a half?

A few years after the females in my home decided "we" needed a dog and acted on that conviction over my objections, my youngest presented me with a wonderful book one Father's Day titled: "Merle's Door: Lessons from a Freethinking Dog" by Ted Kerasote.

It's a true story about a dog who adopts a footloose guy and the bond they develop and share over the next decade or more. From the very first sentence you know how it's gonna end, and yet it's worth every tear-moistened page to read all the way to the end.

So why do we continually give our hearts to those critters who we know in advance are gonna break them when they leave?

Because not doing so is to miss the opportunity to truly understand the meaning of love.

K

Alex MacDonald, GAT, Dipnet and 3 others like this.
  6. Skysoldier

Skysoldier Trout Hunter

I don't think it could be said any better than this.

Bill Aubrey likes this.
  7. Bill Aubrey

Bill Aubrey Active Member

And, Sky, I agree. Thanks, Tim and Kent, I'll give those books a look.

8. Don Freeman

Don Freeman Free Man

Every time one of mine dies, it hurts so much and for so long, that I swear that I'll never get another dog.

But I do, and so may you.

In the meanwhile, if you need to throw a stick, you have my number.

Bill Aubrey likes this.
  9. Bill Aubrey

Bill Aubrey Active Member

Thanks, Don. Some of us are headed for Leech tomorrow, wind permitting. Head on up.

10. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

I feel for you too Bill. I'll be in the same boat soon enough, again. Have a Yellow and a rescue Beagle, both great friends and aging. I swear I'm done when they go but down deep have doubt. Cherish the memory and in time, get another.

11. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    I feel your pain. It's so tough. Like others, we've lost one of our dogs at Christmas last year. The other lab isn't doing well. With my wife working for a vet, she knows his time is coming soon. It's tough, and my heart goes out to you.

Bill Aubrey likes this.
  12. Bob Newman

Bob Newman Active Member

I just lost my lab last night with no warning. He was just short of his eleventh birthday. Reading these comments helps. He has left a big hole in our hearts and life.

13. Phil Fravel

Phil Fravel Friendly

My heart is sad for ya Bill. It is impossible to replace a dogs love for you / us. Ill go and spend some time with mine now and celebrate the great life porter had with a great Owner/friend

14. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Sorry for your loss Bill. My wife and I are still aching over losing our two GR's in the past 10 months. Time will heal the sorrow and the great memories remain forever!

Bill Aubrey likes this.
  15. Tacoma Red

Tacoma Red Active Member

I'm so sorry for your loss of such a great friend, memories of whom will always be with you. He'll want you to get a new buddy soon...

Bill Aubrey likes this.