Lower deschutes flies

Heading to lower deschutes next week for steelhead. Like many of you, I have 100's of flies and I certainly have plenty that will catch fish. But.......

I am sitting in front of vice, looking for inspiration -- what fly would you absolutely not show up to the Lower Deschutes without?

Rob Allen

any steelhead fly will work as good as another,, every one goes small there so if you find yourself fishing used water don't be afraid to try something larger just to be different. I have hooked fish there on flies as big as 4/0

tediousthumper

Hello My name is Thad and Im addicted to flyfishin
In my experiance I have always done best with the classics, freight train and green butt skunks. I was just there last week and threw only those two fly's. I caught two fish and I think thats how the D fishes best. People spend time "going through the box" and next thing they know... theyre skunked and heading home. Stick with a pattern you know works and work it. I suggest the classic "freight train"

In my experiance I have always done best with the classics, freight train and green butt skunks. I was just there last week and threw only those two fly's. I caught two fish and I think thats how the D fishes best. People spend time "going through the box" and next thing they know... theyre skunked and heading home. Stick with a pattern you know works and work it. I suggest the classic "freight train"

Good advice!