Lower Stilly

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by angler88, Sep 3, 2002.

1. angler88

angler88 New Member

Trying to learn the stilly, are there any put ins, and takeouts below silvana? I have the clack 10' drifter, and I would like to try for some src, or silvers, or whatever will bite. any info, reports, or suggestions would be appreciated.=====Thanks Jon :AA

2. Rob Blomquist

Rob Blomquist Formerly Tight Loops

On Page 95 of the Washington State Atlas and Gazeteer it shows launches on the mainstem Stilly. One at Route 9 just north of town, One just east of the town of Silvana and one just off Marine Drive in the estuary. I'm not familiar with the launch at Silvana, it may be pretty minor. Both the others are pretty good.

Now with a drift boat, you might spend a good long time paddling. I would recommend a canoe or kayak to negotiate the lower river, especially in tide water where the current speed is dependant on the tidal phase.

Rob

3. Preston

Preston Active Member

There is a launch at Haller Park in Arlington, just upstream of the highway 9 bridge, but its a long day's float from there just to I-5. Blue Stilly Park, east of Island Crossing (turn left at the fire station) is another difficult launch, you'll have to carry your boat some distance from the parking area to the river.

There is a very rough takeout/launch under I-5. Take the Arlington exit, cross back over the freeway (westbound) and take a right on what used to be called Gulhaugen Road (Damn, I don't know why they feel it's necessary to change all these road names to numbers) and follow it to the end. If you put in here, be sure you take the right hand fork of the river (Pilchuck channel) about a quarter mile downstream, otherwise you'll find yourself going over a low head dam. This means you'll go down past the mouth of Pilchuck Creek and rejoin the other fork at a point downstream of Silvana.

The launch at Silvana (near the Town Tavern) washed out years ago though it's still possible (with difficulty) to launch a small boat or raft there. You can also launch at the cement plant across the river from Silvana, but they lock the gate at quitting time. At one time it was possible to launch near Struiksma's farm under the bridge across from the Little White Church, but people living under the bridge all summer, littering, etc. caused Struiksma to block the access.

There is a WDFW access on the north side of the river about halfway between Sylvana and the Bodel Bridge. It's not an actual launch but you can drive to the riverbank and it's a shelving beach, but it's not easy to find. The last takeout is on the downstream side of the Bodel bridge on the Stanwood-Warm Beach road (Marine Drive). Keep in mind that the Stilly is tidal almost up to Silvana, so check the tides before floating. It can be tough trying to row down the river on a big making tide.

4. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

How would a 8 foot pontoon boat do on the lower Stilly? I have a Fish Cat that has a fairly tough hide for rivers. It's not meant for white water but drifting is fine.

5. alpinetrout

alpinetrout Banned or Parked

I was wading the lower Stilly near Pilchuck Creek on Monday and saw a couple drifters go by in their pontoon boats. I'd assume that means it's relatively easy water.

6. cuponoodle breakfast

cuponoodle breakfast la flama blanca

People do the lower Stilly on inner tubes and Kmart rafts all the time. Just watch out for stumps and snags.