MA 9 8/6: A day late and a dollar short

Rob Ast

I've been on vacation this last week in New Mexico, and although I did get to enjoy some decent small stream trout fishing I was seriously envious of the beach reports I was reading. Therefore, I was up early and at your usual North Kitsap beach by 05:00. Saw SciGuy and Bagman there, with a few fish being caught. Bill hooked up on a double, but unceremoniously had to leave the beach shortly thereafter when he drove the hook deeply into his hand. Being the type of guy who needs all the luck I can get I of course stepped into Bill's lucky spot. About five minutes later I felt the tug, but apparently I got Bill's luck from last week, not today, because I had line screaming off my reel and was well into my backing in a matter of seconds. After several minutes I brought a nice King to my feet. It is hard for me to judge the size precisely because of my limited experience handling Kings, but i would guess about 15lbs of hatchery goodness. Of course I was psyched to catch my first King off the beach, but my luck ran out because MA9 closed to King retention yesterday.

Gregg Lundgren

Now fishing on weekdays too!
Rob, Congrats on the nice King! Timing is everything sometimes. "Missed it by that much!" But that was just the dinner table part!;)

SciGuy

Nice job Rob! Did anyone take a picture for you...I can't imagine trying to CNR a nice King and snap a photo at the same time. Whether you could take it home or not, I'm sure that will prove to be a memorable fish. I hope you at least enjoy the Coho I had to leave behind.

I've had better mornings:

bigdood

fishing hack
Nice job Rob! Did anyone take a picture for you...I can't imagine trying to CNR a nice King and snap a photo at the same time. Whether you could take it home or not, I'm sure that will prove to be a memorable fish. I hope you at least enjoy the Coho I had to leave behind.

I thought thumb season closed to retention on the 5th?

Rob Ast

Bill, no photo - no camera and I wasn't about to dig out my phone standing knee deep in the sound. Coho is filleted with half in the freezer and half for dinner tonight.

ouch