Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

MA 9 - 9/22

2K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  Puget Sound Pimp 
#1 ·
Hit a MA 9 beach today with my son Tim AKA DimeBrite.
We both ended up going 1 for 1. Tim got a very thick buck while I landed a hen.
Mine hit a chartreuse over hot pink clouser and Tim got his fish on a pink over white clouser.
Both takes were solid hard strikes with the fish inhaling the fly, so they are still actively feeding.
Very slow morning with little tide move which was very odd. 8 foot change in the morning with little movement, much better movement with less then a 3 foot change in the afternoon.

By the way, I'm just joking about Tim being my son. I was asked by the beach loudmouth if he was my son. Man that shit makes me feel old...:D
Nice day on the water other then having to listen to mister talkative all day no matter where you were on the beach.
Here is a pic of my fish.
White Light Fish Salmon-like fish Ray-finned fish

See less See more
#2 ·
I noticed that too. The tide just seemed to trickle in with no real movement. I got my two including my biggest this year to date, a nice 12 lb hooknose and his little 6 lb brother. First two males this week. Everything else were females whose eggs were fully developed. The big hooknose bucks arrived in Sieku this last Thursday, so they are headed our way. May have to hit Flagger this coming week.

#4 ·
Fish Ray-finned fish Fish products Marine biology Fishing

Dad (Stonefish) and I certainly had to work for strikes this morning, and sat watching the water for current for longer than I enjoy. It was worth the wait though when the silvers came within fly casting range (WHAM-JUMP-SPLASH). I love aggressive coho and late September brings the most memorable fishing. Brian's rod got jerked down so hard I could hear the grab. If only Mr. Beach Loudmouth would have shut-up for half a minute it would have been more enjoyable; my ears are still ringing with his B.S. Kudos to Brian for a very kind act on the beach today, it's not just about catching fish but being a good person:) .

Nice work Blktailhunter on landing the 12 pound silver, I've been trying to get a feeding ocean coho of that size from the beach for several years.

#7 ·
Nice report and fish! It seems there's a local loudmouth for every beach. It can be so irritating sometimes! As Nick said, pretty dead on this side yesterday. I only saw maybe 3 fish landed on the whole beach before 9. Good current and plenty of bait, just no fish.

#8 ·
Yea I should joined you guys on Sat
and I would have been Grandpa. People
that talk all the time in a loud voice
usually come from large families of mutant
breeders with some cultish belief in a
higher power that doesn't include silence.
Nice fish Tim. You can't keep a good Beaver down!

Dave

#12 ·
Trolling hoochies and spoons. I wanted to go out early to bucktail flies or run my giant 6" herring pattern flies shallow (10-20ft) but my crew didn't get their act together till 2pm. Hope to get back out early to try some surface action with fly rods before it's too late.

#20 ·
Redington 9'0" 8 wt Super Sport
Sage 4280
RIO Striper Line in a 8 wt intermediate

The Striper line is fun to cast. It is not as aggressive as the Outbounds I'm used to casting but handles big flies and moderate wind quite well. If the wind is blowing @ 8 mph or more I'd go with the Outbound. It also, unlike most beach lines, has an intermediate weight running line which seems to help me get a little deeper.

#19 ·
Thanks Guys. I've been out 3-4 times and am using a Sage One 9'6wt (an amazing gift from my future father-in-law) with a SA intermediate clear line on a Galvan Spoke reel. Seem about right for silvers but I can see how an 8wt would be helpful in the wind. 2+ hrs of casting and my shoulder is about to fall off but I know I need to work-out the beach casting technique since I grew up fishing mostly from a drift boat.

Still in the discovery phase and I'm looking forward to the day when I can post something similar to Jason about my first strike/hook-up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.