MA-9 Report: First Blood

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by DimeBrite, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Rob Ast

Rob Ast Active Member

Great to hear good reports. I'll be heading out the next chance I get.

2. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

Good fly Larry. Tomorrow's my turn at the wheel.

Leland.

3. Jim Speaker

Jim Speaker Active Member

Home Page:
    Encouraging! Looking fwd to the weekend. Nice work sounds like y'all had a great time.

4. kelvin

kelvin Active Member

as always nice tie Larry

5. SciGuy

SciGuy Active Member

One for four this morning over 2 1/2 hours. One I missed the set. On two I strip set hard and got solid head shakes but they popped of after a second or two. The third is below. All takes were really subtle. I was using a sparse green/white Shock & Awe the whole time.

[​IMG]

6. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

Nicely done! Were there many fish showing? What size is that - I'm trying to calibrate my size guestimates for these fish.

I was thikning about going out before work tomorrow for a couple hours, but it's a good 1.5+ hour round-trip drive. I'd plan to fish maybe 5-7am. Tide would be outgoing just after high. Worth it or wait for another day?

On a side note, what's everyone's thought on keeping these fish? Wild vs hatchery, size, resident, migratory, etc? Coming from trout fishing I have primarily practiced catch and release through the years to preserve the fisheries. Right now we're catching resident fish correct? I have read that many of them die in the salt and never spawn, so it's not hurting the fishery to keep the occasional fish. Anyways, curious on people's thoughts and opinions on this. Sorry to hijack.

7. SciGuy

SciGuy Active Member

No, the fish weren't showing themselves but they were certainly there. In my opinion it would be worth hitting it early tomorrow...that is my plan anyway. I can't over emphasize how subtle their bites were.

Good questions regarding wild vs hatchery and resident vs migratory. I often bonk hatchery fish if of decent size regardless if resident or migratory. In contrast, there have only been a few occasions over the years that I've retained bona fide native fish. I posted the above picture knowing that I may be setting myself up for being flamed (because it is unclipped). However, I truly think these small (2-4 lb) early fish are all of hatchery origin, regardless of whether they are clipped or unclipped. I may be wrong...but I don't think so.

I too would like to hear from others on the subject.

8. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

I figured that would be the general feeling about hatchery fish, but I wasn't sure how people would feel about these smaller non-clipped fish. To keep the fish pictures coming, here is mine from last Sunday. I am calling it my first "real" coho from the beach. The 2 prior were even smaller, but this one was big enough to stand out over the others and feel like I thought a salmon should. :)

[​IMG]

9. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

When fish checkers used to be more common on the beaches, I kept a number of unclipped fish that were of hatchery origin. A number of them indicated the presence of nose tags when the checker ran the wand over their head.

10. DimeBrite

DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

Don't feel guilty, those unclipped fish are hatchery resident silvers, no eco damage. Later in August-October if you catch a beautiful tight scaled silver with an adipose it could be a wild fish worthy of release if you choose to do it.

Nice job on the silvers this morning Bill. The early bird gets the worm every time. I got the shakers.

11. ptphisher

ptphisher Member

12. ptphisher

ptphisher Member

oooppps that was a quick post! Anyway, Dimebright, i think that we had a conversation this AM? Red tahoe and fishless after loosing a hefty fish. If that was you,then it was nice to meet you and hope to see you out again sometime. by the way it neve picked back up aft the slack!

13. DimeBrite

DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

Nice talking to you today ptphisher. Congratulations on hooking into the big silver, that must have been a thrill from your description of the multiple jumps (wish I had seen you hook up). You will be landing that first big salmon soon. Next time I fish that spot I'll look to see if you're there (and I'll bring an extra spool of 10 lb Maxima Ultragreen ;) ).

Tim

14. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

This was a great tip. Straight 10lb Maxima for a leader/tippet. So much easier and no knots to worry about or catch sea-crud. It cast the heavy flies nicely and I got way less casting-knots than I usually do (AND it was a pretty windy day).

Glad to hear about the unclipped smaller fish. I will happily let large unclipped specimens swim free as the season progresses.

15. SciGuy

SciGuy Active Member

Wind...