MA-9 Report: First Blood

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by DimeBrite, Jul 15, 2012.

1. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

Right? Never made it over to say hi but I was the one with the green stripping basket. 0 for 1 for me. Had a good take, a couple head shakes, then it was gone. Grabbed it maybe 10 ft off the beach. One little guy to hand and a what I think were a couple very light bumps. Saw a couple fish come to the beach though. One fly fisher got one and a one gear guy got a couple.

2. SciGuy

SciGuy Active Member

We'll do better next time. I'm not sure if it was the wind and the waves or what but the current flows never set up like yesterday. It wasn't a total bust though...I had a spunky little 2 1/2 pounder most of the way in before it came unbuttoned and a couple of other bumps early on. My casting is average at best but when the wind picks up my game totally falls apart. After hooking myself in the shoulder once (shirt, no skin) and bouncing a Shock & Awe off the back of my hat, I decided to call it a day. I some point I really need to learn to cast with my left hand or bring along my switch and go cackhanded.

3. Matthew Gulbranson

Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

I seriously need to get out there for an early morning session. Trouble is the ferry's run too late! Feel free to send me a PM if you know of an eastside PS beach that would be decent. I need to get my dose of salt.

4. Beachmen

Beachmen Active Member

Home Page:
    good to know. now its time to fill my silver box already. :D:D:D if i ever get a chance to tie for my self hahaha

5. SciGuy

SciGuy Active Member

Did anybody make it out this morning?

6. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide.

Cranberry Country...a glorified coastal swamp!
    DimeBrite is right. Clipped or unclipped, if it looks like a resident coho, its most likely a hatchery swag. I know someone who recently volunteered for the task of clipping hatchery fish. He told me that many "somehow" escape without actually getting clipped. With as many as several hundred thousand fish to be clipped, the clippers may get kind of in a hurry to rush them through the process.

Even an error of 5% unclipped on 100,000 fingerlings would result in 5,000 unclipped hatchery fish being released. How many of those survive?

7. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

1 for 6 this morning in MA-9. Lot's of people hooking up but lots of fish getting off. Seems to be the trend lately. I hooked in to a couple good sized ones but they didn't stick. Fish to the beach was about 2.5 lbs. 6 fish landed from what I saw. Oh, and the fish today was clipped but looked like the rest of the cookie cutter 2-4 lb fish I've been seeing (some clipped some not) which leads me to believe they're all ressies as discussed.

8. ptphisher

ptphisher Member

mtskibum, what was the tide doing if I may ask?

9. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

Outgoing tide with the high at 5:30am. I had the first couple hits around tide change iirc. I wouldn't say the water looked overly "fishy" for the rest of it but there were somewhat consistent hookups.

10. Rob Ast

Rob Ast Active Member

I was first on the beach today at 4:55. Wind was blowing fairly hard from the south, necessitating fishing off the north side. I had several 12-14" resizes, but nothing big enough to keep. As soon as the sun came up all activity stopped. I had one solid grab about 6:30 that was only on for a second, but after that it was dead. Did see one fish to the beach on the ubiquitous pink buzz bomb.

11. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Thanks for the update Rob!

12. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

My "go to the beach and meet Rob" alarm went off. I rolled over and went back to sleep.

13. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

Slow weekend. Glad I didn't drag myself out of bed again Sunday.

14. Josh Smestad

Josh Smestad aka Mtnwkr

I was out there this morning, 4:30-7:00. Same experience as Rob. A few 12-14" to hand. Didn't see anyone else catch anything. I'll probably be back tomorrow early afternoon for a few hours if anyone wants to join me.

15. Rob Ast

Rob Ast Active Member

Josh, I was thinking the same thing, may see you there