Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

MA 9 report

609 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  cook 
#1 ·
Fished the last three hours of an incoming tide yesterday by boat. Had one brief hook up near a tide rip in about 60 feet of water while using a chartreuse/white closer. Lots of guys fishing from the beach, so I moved in shallow and fished along a stretch of beach that was empty. Threw Leland's popper for awhile, and did not see any follows, but that is sure a fun way to fish. Saw another couple of boats fishing deep with gear, so I moved out to 150-200 feet of water. Was marking fish from 30 to 60 feet deep, and saw one of the other boats land a nice coho. Went to a fast sinking line and fished the closer, trying to let it get down as deep as possible and then strip back up threw the fish. No luck on that idea either, but a great day to be on the water.

#4 ·
Lots of fish out there, but the reports suggest that they have been running deep with the clear skies and bright sun.
That's consistent with what I saw yesterday. Fished MA9 and while launching talked with a couple of guys coming in. They limited, but were using downriggers fairly deep. We fished where we always do and only saw 1 fish jump in 5 hours. Still nice to get out on the water, practice casting and decompress for a bit.

Upside is that I made some nice progress in casting my outbound line. Was finally able to get the rhythm down and get a decent amount of line shot out.

#5 ·
Fished an MA-9 beach this morning--beautiful morning started under the stars. There was a little action in casting distance at first light then it died. Had one solid take (possibly another) but didn't set fast enough--first time my hands have been cold. At one point, I saw a nice silver finning in about 2 feet of water, less than 6 feet from shore. It was a late reminder to throw some cast before wading deep. Hoping they're around one more weekend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.