MA 9 this morning

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Nick Clayton, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Caveman

Caveman Member

Got any pics of the flies you are using

2. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

Nice work Josh! Hopefully they stick around until tomorrow! I agree that the "regulars" up there all seem to be good folks and stay out of each-others way.

3. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Funny how easily the none regulars stand out. The guys that fish there all the time fish for awhile, then bs with other anglers then fish for a bit more. All the while they never cast out very far with their light hootchie spinners and still catch lots of fish.
    Beware of the guys doing the full body casts. It looks like a new Olympic sport as they catch air while casting like they are throwing the hammer or javelin. They cast their buzz bombs so far out there you never see the splashdown and they rarely catch anything.

4. ten80

ten80 Active Member

You know, you're going to need a bigger rod to troll those cut plug silvers for Halibut!!

Nick Clayton and Josh Smestad like this.
  5. Josh Smestad

Josh Smestad aka Mtnwkr

Haha! Those do look like some big plugs!

6. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Solid work as usual Josh! If there are fish around, you will find them! I'm heading out that way in about 20 minutes.... Hope there is still a fish or two around

7. Nick Clayton

Deader than dead last night. Fished 4:30- 6:30 this morning- Half dozen shakers to hand, none of the big brothers were wanting to play with me. Lots of people, and quite a few fish being hooked when I had to head to work.

8. Nick Clayton

Not exactly hot tonight but definitely some fish around. Lost one right off the bat that I never saw. Then later lost a nice one when it jumped way out of the water in front of me and spit the hook. My budddy fishing Herring got a nice one.

Don't have to be to work till noon so will be hitting it hard in the morning.

9. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

Nice man! Good luck today.

10. Josh Smestad

Josh Smestad aka Mtnwkr

Incoming tide looks good, think I'll head out that way..

11. Nick Clayton

Slow for me this morning. Fished 4:30-9:30. Couple tugs, but nothing to speak of. Fish were all around in close when I first got on the water, but couldn't get any players. Saw quite a few fish beached, and seveal by the fly guys. Nice to meet you Bill. Stopped in at Peninsula Outfitters for some leader and flies, and gonna be back out this evening. I'm bound to get one to stick one of these times!

12. Nick Clayton

Headed out straight after work and hit the beach around 5 pm. A slight breeze but manageable and very few people. Fished for the first couple hours with nothing happening for me. Gear guys were picking up a fish now and then. After some time, Mtskibum16 showed up and I fished next to this fellow yard-bird for the rest of the night. Nice to meet you Matt. Around 7 or so I started hooking up. As is my pattern lately I hooked a good fish in front of me long enough to feel a couple head shakes and see him splash before he spit the hook. Ugh. 15 minutes later, same thing. Hit, pump pump splash, gone. UGH!!! This is getting friggin ridiculous. I have tried normal hooks, stinger hooks, tubes.... Nothing is sticking! My fiance had met me on the beach this evening and after finishing a long beach walk was sitting on a log behind me enjoying the show, but frustrated at the lack of dinner on the beach! Baitfish were jumping all around us most of the evening, and fish were showing around is with some frequency. Another 15-20 minutes go by and I get another solid strike followed by several head shakes and a splash....wait for it.....there he goes...... what??? A run? Low and behold this fish was hooked solid. My fiance had her camera phone at the ready and quickly turned on the camcorder and filmed the entire thing. I was nervous as hell fighting this fish, as I have lost a good 12-15 fish this week, and when I finally slid him up on the beach I let out a hell of relief. The #6 stinger hook was absolutely buried in the corner of his jaw. This fish was going nowhere.

I showed off my prize to my fiance, then quickly returned to the water. 15 minutes later I was back to my old self as I had another solid hook up, followed by a spit hook. This one didn't sting quite as bad. That was it for me for the evening. Fished till just before dark and called it a night. Matt was nice enough to loan me his knife, as I realized I left mine at home. Great night. Over all the gear guys easily landed a dozen fish throughout the night. They were definitely on the bite. Lots of baitfish working all around us pretty much all evening. Can't wait to hit it again tomorrow.

Attached Files:

13. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Nick,
    Are you using size 6 octopus stingers?

14. Nick Clayton

This particular one was, yeah

15. toadthedry

toadthedry Member

Nick,
    Congrats on getting the bites. Thats the best part anyway. Try this to keep them on. After you cast, put the rod but and reel under your arm pit. Then retrieve the fly with two hands alternating right and left. You do not necessarily have to retrieve super fast this way, you can vary your retrieve, add pauses etc just like when doing a one handed strip. When you feel a bite, keep stripping. Keep stripping even when the fish starts thrashing on the surface as coho often do shortly after feeling the hook. Only raise the rod tip when the fish starts to run. I don't know what strength tippet you are using but you may want to use something moderately strong with this method such as 15 lb or higher. If you try it let me know if it helps you as it has for me. One other thing to try is a bigger hook. Hope this helps.
    Mike