MA10 Report: What to do when the pinks won't show...

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Nick Clayton, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Kcahill

Kcahill Active Member

I agree that the boat isn't needed, but man fishing out of the boat with Nick ruined me for beach fishing. I am buying a boat this off season when the prices come down. Right now they seem kind of high driven by humpy and crabbing season.

2. Blktailhunter

Blktailhunter Active Member

Oh great. There goes my "secret" spot. Hear come the crowds. Darn Internet.

3. Kcahill

Kcahill Active Member

Send me the coords please so I have them. Thanks.

4. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

You do your thing, ill do mine. Personally I'd rather not fish next to every swinging fly rod in the state, but that's just me.

5. Fishee

Fishee Active Member

Is it all cohos? I thought i see a chinook, some pink and a coho.

6. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

All ho's.

7. Nick Clayton

Hos fo sho

8. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

Yeah I just sold mine a couple weeks ago and already question that decision a little. However, boats bring a set of problems and hassles too. There's something to be said about the simplicity of beach fishing. I'm thinking I might also sell my 9' pontoon and get a kayak in place of the boat and 'toon.

9. Kcahill

Kcahill Active Member

I have thought about a kayak many times but have decided against it mostly because this side of the sound is fairly crowded and I do not trust other boaters.

10. fish-on

fish-on Waters haunt me....

Kayaks rule! The design and fishability of kayaks nowadays are incredible. They are built lighter, faster and more stable. I use an Ocean Kayak Trident 13 and I stand and fly fish on it (all within reason). It tracks great and allows you to sneak up on the fish in places a boat can't get to.. And if you plan your trip well, you start to figure out your own "personal launch areas" to shorten your paddle time..

Tight lines.

John

Kcahill likes this.
  11. Nick Clayton

There is certainly something to be said for the simplicity of beach fishing. I don't care if I had the greatest boat in the world, I'd never completely give up those sunrises on the beach. One thing I enjoy so much about this type of fishing is the simplicity. A rod/reel, box of flies, spool of maxima and my stripping basket and I'm good to go. The boat definitely adds some complication to that, which can be good or bad depending on how you look at it. It is also a lot of work. Plan to add a couple hours onto each outing to account for maintenance for the boat.

That said, I love fishing from a boat. I love being out on the water. I love the freedom it provides. And, especially during a pink year, I love the ability to escape the crowds. I have a lot to learn about fishing from a boat. It's a whole different perspective than from the beach. But it's nice to have another option. It has certainly paid off for me this year.

Those kayaks are pretty darn cool. Not sure that it would work for my fat ass, but very cool anyway. Plus I'm probably too chicken to do too much with one.

Irafly and Kcahill like this.
  12. Kcahill

Kcahill Active Member

I guess I just have some fear of fighting a fish and having a wake come up behind me and flip me over, or having some idiot that is not paying attention get to close to me before I can get out of the way. :\

13. Nick Clayton

That would be my problem too. I've encountered kayaks in some pretty interesting places this year. The guy who came across me out at Sekiu last week who yelled over to me "Which way to Sekiu" through the thick fog was probably the craziest. Most of the guys I see out have every piece of safety equipment available. I'm not sure this guy even knew how to paddle.

Kcahill likes this.
  14. Kcahill

Kcahill Active Member

At least he was out there getting after it though!!!!

Nick Clayton likes this.
  15. John Weston

John Weston Member

yep all the safty gear in the world but no gps to show where ya going. wow, that's real cool. enough said. tight lines
    Outlaw