Mann Lake

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by GAT, Mar 16, 2013.

1. chief

chief Active Member

I agree that Mann is remote enough that you are not going to start a stampede. I have considered making the drive from Portland in the past, and ended up going to Lenore for my Lahontan explorations. It's about 3 hours closer and there are a ton of other options nearby. What I saved in gas paid for my out of state license..... But one of these days I need to see the legendary Mann Lake....

2. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

I know one thing fersure... don't order a chicken dinner in Burns. Normally, we'd stay at a motel in Burns and drive to Mann so we didn't have the wind and rolling tents to contend with. Burns is cattle country not chicken country.

Rocky and I got tired of ordering steak so we ordered Chicken Cordon Blu at a high end (for the town) restaurant in Burns... they fried it instead of baking it. You don't fry Chicken Cordon Blu, when you do, it tastes like burned breaded chicken with ham and cheese tossed in just to make it taste worse.

So if you go out to dinner in Burns, order beef. (it's the only place I've found with a phone book of yellow pages just for the ranches)

3. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

I would also say that it is safe to hotspot an Oregon lake on a Washington Fly Fishing sight. I know, I know, a lot of non Washington guys peruse this sight (evidently) but the majority of the visitors are from Washington and they have similar waters much closer. Omak, and Lenore both produce high quality cuts much closer to home.

4. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

Reminds me of a lake over here. Not much more than a wadable mud puddle with alot of smallish lahontans. It right in the open fields and wind is problematic, but you can wear your arm out catching little cutts. I rarely bother with it because there are THREE other lahontan lakes within five miles of it that hold larger fish and are sheltered better from the wind.

5. jakesmylab

jakesmylab New Member

Mann is definately not a lake that one would call pretty. Definately not much more than a mud puddle. If you are making the drive to Mann just for the fish you could definately find a better destination. Spend a week in that part of the state fishing and snooping around and you will understand why people that continue to go back find it so special. Take the .22 and a spotlight for the jack rabbits at night. Stop in Fields for a shake and Burger. Spend a day driving obscure roads that may or may not exist on a map looking for water that may or may not hold trophy trout. A trip to Mann can be ok.

6. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Of course there are additional lakes in the area with large trout that will remain nameless...