martha (wb)

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by trout_bum23, Mar 31, 2014.

1. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Ah Marta Lake. Did you know that one time a group of people thought that the boat launch was a road and they drove into the lake. Not to sure if they all survived, but it was a funny read at the time. It happened at night.

It was a few years ago. It's all hazy now as it happened over 20 years or so ago

2. skyrise

skyrise Active Member

fished it a few days ago, and things were very slow. some mids coming off now & then. water is much warmer now. did not see much in the way off activity (rises, boils) . landed one about 12-14" on the indicator. talked to the Game Warden (2nd time this year). Nice fellow. thanked him again for checking the area. he confirmed fishing had been slow last few days. planters dont seem to be doing much. hope they all didnt get eaten by cormorants.

3. Kevin Kraxberger

Kevin Kraxberger KDeuce

Home Page:
    My son and I fished Martha on Sunday (4/13). Due to time constraints we fished in the middle of the day from about 11 to 2:30. Stayed on the south side and started at a spot towards the east that my fish finder marked a lot of fish about half way down and at the bottom. Rigged up deep chironomid rigs for both of us and got no takes. Changed fly color and depth and still nothing even though my finder was constantly showing fish. I switched to a leech pattern on full sinking line and still nothing. Saw some other people landing fish on terminal tackle trolling. Decided to move west to spot based on the background in the photo of the brown earlier in this thread. Set up chironomids off bottom, but nothing after about 15 minutes and was just about to call it a day when my indicator disappeared. My rod immediately was bent in half, very strong fish. After fighting for a couple of minutes, I stupidly tried to force him to the surface. I thought he was coming up and suddenly my fly came shooting out of the water, pulled it out of his mouth. I like to think it was a huge brown. Put my fly back out and after a little bit got a 12-14 inch brown. My first brown since I was in high school (23 years ago) on Merrill Lake. I had switched my son to same color fly after the first fish I hooked, but he didn't have any luck on his side of the boat so I switched sides if the boat with him and I ended up getting what looked like a rainbow on that came straight out of the water after my indicator went down and continued to go airborne until he spit the hook. My son never got a hit even though we had the same flies set to the same depth. We had to leave so I could get some stuff done around the house.

Thanks for the picture of the brown. The two previous times I have been there I concentrated our time around the undeveloped shore on the north side with no success using various methods.

The lure of catching a brown is the main reason I fish Martha, now I need to keep going back to get my son to land one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. trout_bum23

trout_bum23 New Member

After you leave the boat launch, go towards the middle and when you hit 25-27 feet of water you'll start marking big fish on the bottom. I was there Monday the 14th in the morning. I caught a few smaller ones by the undeveloped side but it was takedown after takedown in the spot I just mentioned. Try a size 12 shiny brown with a gold bead. Chromers size 14 worked too. I was fishing about 25' under an indicator in 27' water. Caught about 20 before noon but nothing over 15" so I headed to pass :)

5. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

That happened to me once before at Martha. It's like you've been playing the fish for a couple of minutes, rod all bent over--9ft 6wt, even--and then you get to wondering if you've been playing it too easy because you're no closer to bringing the fish in than when you started. Start to apply pressure and you lose out. I was over at the south east end of the lake at the time. Shallow water and my fly also popped out of the water. Like, wtf?!

The weird part was that something with a broad back porpoised at the surface about 15 feet away. I couldn't tell if it was a very large brown or an otter. Since I didn't see it come up again, I found myself only slightly doubting that it might have been an otter. Still ain't sure.

Good you got at least a taste with the fight. Call it a LDR.

--Dave

6. Tim Lockhart

Tim Lockhart Active Member

mat1226 and Patrick Gould like this.
  7. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

Thanks for this, your searched yielded better results than mine. When are we gonna fish again?

8. gdbrill

gdbrill Tight Lines

Fished Martha today from 8:30 to noon and it was great. Lost count after 25.