Massive Kispiox Steelhead

Itchy Dog

Some call me Kirk Werner
Pretty impressive fish here: 45.25", 25" girth, may have tipped scales at an calculated 40.75lbs. May be the largest steelhead caught on a hook and line.

From Fly Fisherman March 2009 issue.

Attachments

Thats interesting it was landed in 5-6 minutes. Karl's fish was landed quickly as well and he had said that the fish grounded on a shallow bar and he was able to grab it. I wonder if they dont realize their own size when they get that big! I mean they swim around in the open ocean all that time and maybe they just dont realize how far their gut sticks out!

Thats interesting it was landed in 5-6 minutes. Karl's fish was landed quickly as well and he had said that the fish grounded on a shallow bar and he was able to grab it. I wonder if they dont realize their own size when they get that big! I mean they swim around in the open ocean all that time and maybe they just dont realize how far their gut sticks out!
Certainly does make you think. Seems like a fish that big would just be so powerful, especially relative to the rod size and weight that he caught it on. I wonder if it's just that it takes a great amount of energy to move that 40lb fish mass. Not exactly lean and mean and the fish looks like it's been in the system for a while. Hard to say. I caught a hatchery summer fish about a week ago that fought like hell, and then a few days later caught a chrome bright winter hatchery fish that was a dud. Still, interesting. I've seen the photo but never read the story behind it. Awesome fish.

"...taking 67 digital photos."

Remarkable fish, but 67 photos?!? :mad: I guess that makes up for the quick fight, eh? Must have still been in guide mode, where everyone wants a million grip & grins to prove that they caught something on their $7,000 fishing trip.

Awesome story otherwise... just step in, make a few swings and SHWIIIING! Obviously a talented guy, but perhaps a little caught up in the moment.

"...taking 67 digital photos."

Remarkable fish, but 67 photos?!? :mad:
I can see where he would have been excited. That thing is just a pig. In my younger days I spent two seasons guiding in the Iliamna area and as cool as it is, there's nothing like that up there. Plus, taking a photo like that back up to all your guide friends would be some good bragging. I think 67 was his insurance that he would have at least one good one.

Plecoptera

Wow, quite a fish! Since the rise in popularity of wild steelhead CnR from the 80's, to the manditory CnR regs in place now I wonder how many record steelhead have been caught that couldn't be certified? Trey Combs book talks of several Skagit fish topping out over 40". One supposedly caught by a fly fisherman was measured around 48" i believe.

Joepa

Joe from PA
Just to clarify, this fish was 45.25" not 42.25". 42.25" didn't look right; my largest fish was a 39" buck with huge shoulders that was about 20lbs based on that formula.

inland

The accepted formula used 800 not 690. 690 is the new kid on the block. Old formula comes in at 35.35#'s.

Clay Carter caught a giant Kispiox fish that made it into Combs last steelhead book. I have seen several photos of his fish- photos that show the true size of the beast from a different angle vs. the shot Combs printed (where the fish is tilted towards Clay, bent, and somewhat slinking into his lap- the other shots show the true length and depth). 37#'s using the OLD formula. As is reported with Lemire's Thompson giant of 41X26. 34.6#'s old vs. 40.1#'s new.

So which is it? Unless these fish are weighed (killed, witnessed, and certified) there is always going to be some fishermans ruler factor!!! Part of the fun I suppose.

The gentleman that is mentioned in several publications with the giant Skagit fish is Jerry Wintle. One hell of a nice guy.

William

SpeySpaz

still an authority on nothing
he looks like one of those SF guys in Afghanistan.
maybe they photoshopped the SAW out and dropped the big fish in:rolleyes:

damn, what a hog. has kind of a surprised look about his face too.
ok, here goes the next wave of the Kispiox stampede. wonder what the Cottonwood Pool will look like next October?
Blue Creek, Part Deux.:rofl:

Salmo_g

Wintle's steelhead wasn't measure with a tape. He measured it against his fly rod. Back at camp John Farrar brought out a tape measure and put it on the rod where Jerry marked it, and that read 48". Just for useless information, I had a solid hit in the exact spot Jerry hooked his fish somewhat earlier that day. Ah, the woulda' coulda' beens.

Sg

Rob Zelk

I swing, therefore i am.
67 photos!? Thats a way to treat the biggest fly lined fish with respect... Beautiful fish, and well done, but come on now. I can see 5 photos, maybe, but I never even do that many and I like taking photos.