Massive Kispiox Steelhead

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Itchy Dog, Jan 29, 2009.

1. longstick

longstick Member

what really funny is before he left alaska he fish the kenai and landed a 33x22 inch rainbow then wen to B.C. I think he should retire and look for a new sport with new goals. He is done.

2. Jefffly

Jefffly The more we know, the less we can learn!

come on guys his girlfriend was there if she loves steelheading as much as he does she was probably just clicking away with the camera from the time it hit the beach and the entire time he was trying to nicely remove the hook. your right 67 is a lot of photos but im sure not all were poses for the camera. what a great fish I wouldnt care if it was the biggest ever caught it would by far be the biggest I EVER CAUGHT.

3. Citori

Citori Piscatorial Engineer

The article doesn't say, perhaps the adipose fin covered part of the text, but are we led to believe this fish was released? Or, after 67 photos, perhaps the question would be was it intentionally or unintentionally killed?

God knows we wouldn't want a fish like that mucking up the gene pool.

Just asking.

4. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

s'OK, Citori, we speak sarcasm and tongue in cheek here:thumb: all my previous wiseass comments aside. (like scorpion said to the frog...it's just my nature)

that was actually my first concern too, on seeing the article in the mag--that 67 pictures, even if rapidly taken, might be a little excessive if one wants to release the fish with as little stress possible. I start getting nervous at two.
    Though I've never caught a fish of such morbidly obese proportions, in my experience it's the littlest and the biggest fish that seem most vulnerable to a bellyup on release.
    In any case, it's an amazing achievement/stroke of dumb luck for this fellow, the Karma vixens must really dig his 'do.

an hour ago I was speaking with an old Canadian friend of mine who used to fish the Thompson in the 70's...and didn't know about this years closure.
    Your gene pool comment is particularly poignant in that context, could be applied to any WA/OR/BC river right now.

5. Citori

I guess I am getting old. The juice I get is between the first cast of the day and when I get to hopefully slide a native back into the current. Everything else is just noise. Even the pictures fail to jack up the hearbeat a tick or two. I have caught my share of really nice fish, and dream about doing it again. But it is the potential for catching that now outweighs the actual catch. With Puget Sound runs having gone extinct in our lifetime, the spectre of not being able to wet a line with the expectation, or hope, of hooking one of those magnificent fish is daunting. I hope he slid it back, and I hope that incredible specimen went on to do many laps in the gene pool. More than that, I hope my grandkids, and their kids have the opportunity to do more than just read about it on the internet.

I really appreciate the "stroke of dumb luck" comment - both for the fish and the fisherman. Oh, well, everybody's got to be somewhere...

6. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

Amen, brother./

...Bob out.

7. Sageman

Sageman Member

In regards to the 67 pictures, they don't tell you when they started taking them. The first time I landed a steelhead over 20# was on the N Fork Stilly in the mid-90's during the spring C&R season. I knew the minute I hooked it that I had a beast and had my friend start snapping pictures. I shot over 30 until the film ran out (remember those days, of film?!), but only had the fish in hand for a minute or so while I extracted the hook and got a couple of good pix while I had it tailed in the shallows.

Depending on the camera and its setting, you may be able to take 67 pix relatively quickly. My digital SLR can probably do it in 30-40 seconds if you lay the hammer down.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

8. Jim Speaker

Jim Speaker Active Member

Home Page:
    Kinda what I was thinkin' on the photo count thing. If my buddy had a big fish on I'd take a ton of pictures hoping for a few good ones... but sh*t, what are the chances of that happening? :rofl:

9. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

my camera can take 6.5 frames per second, perhaps his could too...

Thats a hog of a fish I'll give it 35# although I'm used to guessing chinook weights and they are built differently. I bet that thing was 45 in the salt.

10. Brian Thomas

Brian Thomas Active Member

11. Leopardbow

Leopardbow Member

I am sure it was extremely exciting but I have to agree with Rob, based on those last photos from Golden Trout, I don't agree with the handling of a native fish like that.

12. Citori

"...the question would be was it intentionally or unintentionally killed? God knows we wouldn't want a fish like that mucking up the gene pool."

Let's all take a lesson, and accept a measure of personal accountability - there is one thing better than a big fish, and that is more of them.

13. chattmr

chattmr has never caught a steelhead... (its sad, I know)

Home Page:
    Perhpas she has a fast camera?

14. Leopardbow

Leopardbow Member

She might have taken the pictures quickly, but look at the picture of him measuring the buck, completely out of the water. How long did that take? Add the measuring time to the picture time, etc.

15. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

I'm sure that fish has passed on its genetics a few times before... I can't believe a buck that big