Masterbuilt Smoker

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Roger Stephens, Aug 23, 2013.

1. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    I've never used a Masterbuilt, at least I don't think I have (have used a ton of BBQ'ers over the years). Have you tried making a smoke pouch and tossing it on the element? How thick coarse of wood are you putting in the pans?

2. ten80

ten80 Active Member

Haven't tied making a foil pouch, but will do so next time, as I think it will prevent the chips from catching fire (which can raise the temp to ~180). I've used mulch to chunk size chips directly on the element with good success. Not even sawdust or very fine chips will smoke much in the usual chip tray at <180 degrees.

I have the model with the digital thermostat which is otherwise pretty awesome for the price. It is very well insulated and the timer function quite handy when I cannot be around to babysit the smoker.

3. Jerry Daschofsky

Home Page:
    Try the smoke pouch. Use heavy aluminum foil and use TWO sheets together. Toss the chips in and fold closed. Use a fork or knife to cut JUST the top of the pouch and toss it on the element. For added flavor, soak the chips in cheap whiskey. :)

mtskibum16 likes this.
  4. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

Just ordered the one from Cabela's. With "free shipping" there is still an oversize charge. I heard back from Mastbuilt and the Cabella's one has a built in meat probe and is otherwise the same as the one on Amazon. So for less than $20 more shipped you get the meat probe and a cover. Thanks for the heads up Roger!

5. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

So what temps are you guys smoking at? I see a few suggestions above. I'm going to get a batch going tomorrow hopefully. Also, I'm doing a dry brine and I'm looking at a couple different recipes. One shows to rinse after brining then dry and the other shows to not rinse after the brine. So do you guys rinse after the brine or not?

6. Jerry Daschofsky

Home Page:
    Well you're doing a dry brine, so leave it as is. Wet brine, I usually will do a rinse. Mostly because you'll have a slime thanks to the wet bath it's soaking in.

On temps, I normally just run it around 140-160 range. I like a cold smoke and drying the fish out. But this takes awhile, not a fast process. If you want it moist run a tad hotter (maybe around 180-200) and it'll be done quicker. Dryer outter flesh/skin but moister meat inside.

7. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

Thanks Jerry. Well with a "dry brine" it quickly turns in to a bath of liquid so when you take it out I assume it's close to having had soaked it in a wet brine. I tend to like it dryer too so I'll try a lower temp.

8. Jerry Daschofsky

Home Page:
    LOL. I meant the actual full fledged bath that the fish sit in and the whole lot gets that slime all over. I never seemed to get that slime on a dry brine. Just some liquid from drying out, but seems the water/brine mix acts as a conductor to pull out extra slime. I rinse that. Seems the drybrine leaves mine intact. BUT, I normally keep mine on a rack in the fridge (an actual rack for the fish, not the fridge rack). Just keep it covered and let it drip into a drippan.

9. Jeff Dodd

Jeff Dodd Active Member

New to me propane Master built smoker. Big upgrade from my great outdoors knock off. Dry brine now and smoking in a few hours. Real happy with this freebee smoker!
    Mine came with no chip pan but I found a cast iron griddle I had fits perfectly in the bottom. Chips smoked up nicely on foil on the griddle.

IMG_20130902_111208_315-1.jpg