NFR Matt Lauer firing and My feelings on the MeToo campaign

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Jojo, Nov 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jojo

Jojo Active Member

I watch the Today show each morning (until they get to the fluffy part where they go outside) and was totally shocked to read about Matt Lauer's firing. It's so sudden and the first that anyone has heard of misconduct by Lauer. The way things are going there won't be any men in jobs anymore, especially politics!

Nobody yet knows what this story is or how bad or widespread, if beyond this one accuser. Maybe it's the union in me, but I believe that things need to be put in perspective about what the accusations are and how bad they are to warrant an outcome of an immediate firing. Shouldn't there be an administrative leave while an investigation takes place?

I am starting to get uneasy with the MeToo campaign. Some men are taken down, careers ruined (Thinking of Charlie Rose, another shocker), yet we still have a President and Supreme Court justice employed.

There is a difference in sexual harassment. What Weinstein and Bill Cosby and Roy Moore did are different from what some other men are accused of and to what degree. Honestly, when i think of how many times i can blow the whistle on men i've worked with for, some stuff they said or proposed to me, (as many of women can), i shake my head. But i take some responsibility for it because i did nothing to stop them or report it. And while i would have wanted them to cease their behavior i wouldn't say firing them is the way to go. Anita Hill gave us a start many years ago to use our voice when it happened. Why didn't we use it? (I'm asking myself this too.)

Also kudos to the Washington Post for investigating that one story about Roy Moore which would have derailed and discredited all the other stories from his accusers. We need to be diligent in this new culture of fake news that we are going to the right sources.

rustybee, b_illymac, Tinker and 17 others like this.
  2. _WW_

_WW_ Geriatric Skagit Swinger

As with most things, once the pendulum has swung far enough it will start going the other way.

3. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

Now Garrison Keillor too. Maybe all these allegations are true, but it seems like it's become hip now to make an accusation. May even be lucrative.

FinLuver likes this.
  4. Yard Sale

Yard Sale Huge Member

Now its Garrison Keillor too. Seems like the only ones who don't get fired are those in office. Shoot, they still get elected even after its known...

1morecast, GAT and Buzzy like this.
  5. napawino

napawino Banned or Parked

Snohomish County, sometimes Missoula County
    Men need to stop acting like assholes in the workplace. That said, I do think women need to come forward when the stuff happens, not years later.

mike_r, Yooperboy, holtad and 7 others like this.
  6. Dustin Bise

Dustin Bise Active Member

ok. just my 2 cents. first, innocent until PROVEN GUILTY..... how are people losing there careers on accusations.... take it to the courts. and the justice system will do its job...

are any of these accusations fake? how do we really know? where is the proof?

why the double standards?

this storm of accusations agaisnt men in power is probably overdue, but it also reaks of suspicion to me.

and any men who are acting a fool needed to be put in place.

FinLuver likes this.
  7. Buzzy

Buzzy Active Member

Exactly right! I mean, we even re-elected William Jefferson Clinton.

FinLuver, Kyle Smith and the_grube like this.
  8. napawino

Private businesses have codes of conduct, and can fire as they see the need.

Cd10113, weiliwen and pogeybait like this.
  9. Matt Paluch

Matt Paluch Active Member

Home Page:
    Agreed, but the victims of egregious behavior shouldn't be faulted if it takes them a long time to speak up. If we're talking about inappropriate comments, the sooner the better. If someone suffers physical abuse, we should treat them with absolute respect and compassion even if they come forward many years later.

10. napawino

That is because the "crime" is minimalized by many. If it hasn't happened to them, they don't care. They have no frame of reference. Let it happen to your wife or daughter, and your mind changes.

11. COtoWA

COtoWA This work thing keeps getting in the way

The new Salem Witch trials

FinLuver likes this.
  12. Matt Paluch

Home Page:
    CNN reported that Matt Lauer basically confirmed the women's stories and accepted his termination. It's early for all of the info to come out about him. Others who have been fired could be victims of mob mentality.

13. napawino

I sort of disagree. Criminal offences need to be reported. Actual sexual attacks need law enforcement to be involved as soon as possible.

enlightened likes this.
  14. Dustin Bise

Dustin Bise Active Member

i understand that, but if they fire someone on false grounds (an unfounded allegation without proof) is there room for a lawsuit?

like, maybe i can just call fox and post on twitter say sean hannity touched my **** and get the guy fired..... where is the oversite in these?

again, if true, i have no issue.

but i want to know if its true or not.... and i have no way to tell? just have to trust someones word about something that happened 20 years ago and ruin the guys life based on that?

PS, im speaking in general about ALL the influx of these. i understand some people have fessed up. im generalizing the situation

FinLuver likes this.
  15. Matt Paluch

Home Page:
    I think I didn't communicate clearly. Women experience abuse differently than we do. While crimes should be reported immediately, we need to be understanding of the victim's reasons for waiting. This does open the door for some abuse of the system, I know that. However, pretending that women think and act the same way men would is not reasonable. Accusations coming out years after the fact need to be met with thorough investigation into what happened, just not in a way that victimizes the woman again.

Yooperboy, Skip Enge, Jojo and 6 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.