NFR Matt Lauer firing and My feelings on the MeToo campaign

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Jojo, Nov 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gyrfalcon2015

Gyrfalcon2015 Wild Trout forever

100+ acres for a backyard I treat as if it was my front yard, I put signs up, but if someone tore them down and stepped foot on the property and used every excuse in the book, I am sure that if I felt threatened the law would probably rule in my favor if I chose to protect myself if I am the last one standing. Always need to find out the property situation.

Ofcourse, this is the far end of what I want, and they want, but just an example of what happens when people think that since anything without a NO is a GO, there are dangers.
    Life, jobs, rulings. I do put signs up to keep people away, not so much if it is legally my responsibility.

Someone coming to the house to ask access to the river is a much appreciated gesture that usually goes over well- to me, or anyone. Sneaking on is not tolerated or smart. Last thing we want to do is be a part of the problem with access. Bad apples make things tough.

Locally, 1200-1400+ pound Angus bulls do not care about signs and work 24/7 to protect "their" property for apparent fun ;)

We used to have a steelhead fishing shack on our property that the old boys (born in the 1800's!!!) would walk down and plunk, would always stop at the house on the first fishing trip of the year to ask about the cow situation. Smart guys ! Reason why they were old fisherman! The first fish of the year usually was offered to the landowner as well, I recall. A nice gesture. Miss them.

People respecting each other, living in peace !

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
    Cal I. Baetis, weiliwen and jamma like this.
  2. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

Ah the good old days, I had a great thing going with a landholder on the stilly, I would leave a Steelhead hanging on a tree branch occasionally & magically a bottle of spirits would be under the moss at the base of the tree. I got access & he got a fish or two in return...

Greg Price, jamma and Gyrfalcon2015 like this.
  3. freestonebound

freestonebound Active Member

This PC and liberal b******* is crazy. I consider myself to be liberal until what I've seen recently in the news and media. Liberal used to mean that you would include all viewpoints. Now it means that you ostracize and criticize anything that isn't PC or something that you agree with. I saw an interview with Pamela Anderson and she said in the interview :

"It was common knowledge that certain producers or certain people in Hollywood are people to avoid, privately,” Anderson told Kelly. “You know what you’re getting into if you’re going into a hotel room alone.”“Don’t go into a hotel room alone,” she continued. “If someone answers the door in a bathrobe, leave. These are things that are common sense, but I know Hollywood is very seductive and the people want to be famous.

I am a huge supporter of women's rights and believe no woman should be assaulted or abused. Some of these bastards should be hung by their nuts but everyone is assuming everyone of them is in the wrong in the woman is in the right.

I believe that every man who commits rape should do a minimum 10-year sentence. I also believe any woman who falsely accuses a man of rape regardless of the reason should do the same sentence.

FinLuver likes this.
  4. wadin' boot

wadin' boot Donny, you're out of your element...

Home Page:
    I figure a dude who wants to actually participate in the Today Show in any capacity HAS to be a big douchebag. In fact, regardless of his sex crimes, I would argue this ass-clown should be locked up even before those harassing behaviors came to light. The crime? Offering that fragile cohort of morning television viewers regurgitated, inane, dopey, vacuous treacle...

Lauer's not the kind of morning precog America needs....good riddance

5. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

I took @enlightened fishing once and was sexually harassed!

6. enlightened

enlightened Active Member

;)

Jim Ficklin and triploidjunkie like this.
  7. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

Trip-do you know the difference between harassed and seduced?

8. jersey

jersey livin' the dream

Nice one!!

Good to see your comments on this too

enlightened likes this.
  9. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

The way I view it, it's time for a cultural correction. The day when the least of us find our dignity respected, then the same will stand for the rest of us. It's a "bottom-up," "float all boats" thing. We're talking about the end of the free-reign of being a douche bag stealing a leg up at the expense of another. I'm okay with that.

That said, I'm not cool with the idea that a pendulum will swing back. Should that happen, there will be a loss of respect of the dignity of folks. And that will mean the least able, the under-represented, the silent, the poor, the homeless, and all of everyone who does not have a handle on the reins of power get the shaft. And who knows who that hapless minority will be? Could be rural White folks with medical debt. Could be suburban Asians. Could be Millennial college graduates enslaved by student loan debt. Could be urban Eurasian Millennials enslaved by medical debt. It could be your mom or dad putting you in debt with their Alzheimer's Disease medical bills. It could be your daughter finding her chucked back into a Mad Men era sexual harassment dystopia. Or it could be YOU holding the stinky end of the existential stick, with someone else's bus running over you to boot.

When it comes down to the push-and-shove of it all, it's about "permission." If it isn't explicit, then don't assume. Like someone else pointed out, you don't need to have signs posted every 5 feet on your property line saying "No Trespassing" for people to know that they're strolling through someone else's land. In the same way, if you happen to take a shine to some gal, you always retain the "no harm, no foul" if you first ask her if she don't mind if you kiss her. Even if she says, "No," she will appreciate that you respected her. And that's a win, no matter what.

KerryS, Freestone, jamma and 3 others like this.
  10. smc

smc Active Member

Gonna be some interesting office Christmas party’s this year :)

enlightened and Gyrfalcon2015 like this.
  11. enlightened

enlightened Active Member

We are married :) A little over a year now.

cabezon, Greg Price and Jojo like this.
  12. jamma

jamma Active Member

One other thing I would like to point out is this is hardly news.Rumors and jokes about the Hollywood casting couch have been around for decades.

weiliwen likes this.
  13. Greg Price

Greg Price Love da little fishies

I wish both of you a long life of shared outdoor adventure

triploidjunkie and enlightened like this.
  14. weiliwen

weiliwen Active Member

I'm sure that some of the accusations that have been made are simply revenge, but my guess is that number is small enough to consider a complaint to be legitimate. I'm also sure that the number of false accusations is tiny compared the number of incidents that have never been reported, so in my mind, the scale is far in the direction of powerful men abusing their positions.

It's long past time this kind of behavior was brought to light. I believe that most men, most folks on this thread, love and respect women, and would not even think of chasing a woman around a desk after hours at the office (for example); the same would be true nationally. So I do not look at this as political correctness gone crazy, but something that is a long time coming, and much better exposed to the light of day.

I am, of course, ashamed that our President condones and even participates, in this behavior. His attitude in this respect is that of a petty Third World dictator.

15. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

At my age, either one would be categorized under "surprised," lol.

FinLuver, smc, enlightened and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.