Maxxon Cat Tube Question

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Robert Engleheart, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Your oars are probably right on point. I have a frame that has my oar towers on some custom NRS wings. These wings add overall width to my frame and allow for virtually infinite fore-aft and height placement of my oarlocks. This feature led me to try the longer oars. This is just my personal preference and likely many others would find my 10' oars a bit longer than they might like.

2. Ed Call

3. BirdyinBOI

BirdyinBOI Member

Ahhhh...I see. Thanks for the photo. I was struggling as to what exactly to do for oarlock "stands". My frame is 1" SCH 40 aluminum pipe...1.315 O.D which is too small for the NRS stands. I'd like my oarstands to be adjustable foremost because I didn't want to weld them on without knowing for sure where to put them but also because my seat will have 10" of travel. I've pretty much decided (not bent and welded yet) that since I have to put a splice in the outside of the frame somewhere that I will splice the tube at the oarlocks and then sleeve 1 1/4 tube over the splice which should make the splice stronger and well as give me the correct diameter for the NRS oar stands. I tried it on my PVC mock-up of the frame and it looks like it will work fine.

4. Robert Engleheart

Robert Engleheart Robert

Done Deal! I'm heading up to the East Bay to pick up some 14' x 22" tubes
    RMR catarafts.jpg
    Then to meet a Kiene's board member to pick up a pair of 9' Cataract oars. I'm very excited.
    Big props to Shawn K for suggesting the RMR tubes. Only a few hundred more than Maxxon's and welded, not glued. Great value.

5. shawn k

shawn k Member

post pics of your boat when you get it done.

6. Ed Call

Very intrigued about your impresson on these tubes. I'm happy with my Maxxons, but I'm sure that, as with all things, there will come a time they need to be replaced. Are those three chambered tubes? I see what appears to be a baffle line fore and aft.

7. Robert Engleheart

Robert Engleheart Robert

Ed,
    You're correct; 3 chambers.
    http://www.rmrafts.com/
    Not knocking Maxxon, but they've jumped up in price this year and I thought these were a good value. Their rafts are getting a lot of good reviews as well.

8. Ed Call

Shawn and Robert, thanks for the info an the link. Much appreciated.