Mayflies in my wheel barrow

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Entomology' started by Irafly, Apr 12, 2014.

1. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

During my spring cleaning today I started to investigate the bug life in the water that had collected in my wheelbarrow since the last time I used it. I'm used to seeing bloodworms, chironomids, mosquito larva, but this time I happened to notice mayfly shucks and upon closer inspection I found several mayfly nymphs as well. I didn't think they could live in stagnant water like that. Pretty freakin cool.

Teenage Entomologist likes this.
  2. Teenage Entomologist

Teenage Entomologist Gotta love the pteronarcys.

That's awesome man. It was a couple years ago at my old house in Susanville,Ca, around 4500'. I look at my dad and I see a purple mayfly on my dad's shirt. The closest stream was a mile and a half away, so it either flew way off track, or hatched in some stagnant water. I don't know. Did I mention it was purple, and it was a spinner around a #12 :confused:

3. Taxon

Taxon Moderator Staff Member

Hi Irafly-
    Stillwater mayflies (like Callibaetis, etc.) certainly can. A gravid female imago probably discovered your wheelbarrow sometime following a rainstorm last fall and thought, why the heck not! ;)

Irafly and Teenage Entomologist like this.
  4. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

The sad thing is, to think about how long that wheelbarrow had to sit full of water to create a mayfly hatch, and a new set of nymphs. Maybe I should do more yard work. Now, where is the nearest Stillwater to me versus the lower snohomish. Maybe these bugs are not callibaetis. I'll take a pic if they are still alive after this next fishing trip

5. Taxon

Taxon Moderator Staff Member

Irafly-
    Think small; it could even be your next door neighbor's wheelbarrow. ;)

Gary Knowels and Irafly like this.